Search results

1. A

Bose Model 901 Active Equalizer ('68 Edition) Measurements

If I remember right, Dr. Floyd Toole said something to the effect that coherence is not known to have any positive effect but that it can't hurt. I trust what he says, so I'm not concerned about coherence. I think coherence is one of those things that seems like it ought to be very important...
  2. A

Bose 901 Series V Speaker Review!

The 4.5" drivers will beam the higher frequencies unlike a small dome tweeter. The dome tweeter does not avoid beaming because it is a dome, but only because it is small. If the driver is too large compared to the wavelength, it start beaming. The 901 handles this problem by having most of the...
  3. A

Bose 901 Series VI ver 2 ("Final Edition") Measurements and Review

The limitations that I noticed were that due to the small size of the Bose 901 cabinets, they were limited in how much spl they could put out in the lower bass region without having audible distortion. This is true for all small speakers. I used to run four pairs of the 901 series IV and that...
  4. A

What is Best Low Frequency Loudspeaker Design Software & Workflow to Use for My Speaker Re-design?

Is there any information available for speaker drivers that would allow me to select drivers that would be likely to perform well in a Spinorama measurement of the completed speaker system?
  5. A

How Deep Must the Bass Be?

I was thinking of driving about an hour to where there is an Organ with a 16Hz pipe and listening to it but then it occurred to me that if I did hear the 16Hz pipe and it sounded "musical" to me, how would I know if it was the 16Hz I was enjoying or one of the harmonics? Same problem I guess...
  6. A

Oh, in a similar vein, let me ask people's opinions on the Danley DTS-10 and the fact in general that Danley seems to think frequency reproduction down to something like 5 or 10 Hz is important. Do you think so? In fact, does anyone know if the DTS-10 or any other Danley speaker being sold...
  7. A

What is Best Low Frequency Loudspeaker Design Software & Workflow to Use for My Speaker Re-design?

I still have speaker design software Leap 4.5 and measurement hardware/software MLSSA both of which I haven't used in about 20 years but in the future, I plan to re-design my loudspeaker system and am curious to know the best, most complete design software/hardware to use to get the best results...
  8. A

I'm interested in people's opinions about how low the lowest frequency a subwoofer/woofer can produce with "acceptably low" distortion should be. I'm interested only in the lowest frequency that can be heard, not just felt, regardless of how high the spl level needs to be for that to happen. I...
  9. A

Bose 901 Series VI ver 2 ("Final Edition") Measurements and Review

I believe that the accusation against the Bose 901 that it acts as a comb filter is totally irrelevant to its sound. All you have to do is connect an audio signal generator to any loudspeaker in a typical listening room and vary the output frequency through the audible range, 20Hz to 20KHz...
  10. A

Ya maybe, I was just guessing. But it does seem that old speakers can age differently from speaker to speaker so it might be best to test a few pairs if ever you have that luxury. In the last year, I bought 2 pairs of original 901s and at least one of the drivers seems bad as I can hear serious...
  11. A

Let me add that it is nice to know old 901s can probably deteriorate a lot, at least the ones with foam surrounds one series of which you tested and so if your tests are representative of all Bose speakers that used the original style of foam(see what follows about that) then maybe one would...
  12. A

I believe the distortion was high because the speakers you tested were old and most likely the spiders, and/or surrounds, and/or cones had deteriorated with age. In the case of the surrounds, it is a known fact that the foam surrounds would often completely rot away with age and quite likely...
Top Bottom