Search results

1. manny11701

Audio quality/bitrate - is my old receiver putting out “hifi” quality sound?

So I’ve been listening to hifi for a few years and am now looking to upgrade my beginner equipment. I’ve been reading about FLAC and different bitrates and the audio quality that these new receivers are capable of and it made me wonder how that translates to the Leyman. I’ve got a monolith...
  2. manny11701

Is all speaker fill created equal?

As much as I’d love to use these solutions, I think my best route will be to use standard fiberglass home insulation. All these solutions are very good, but also costly, so I think gloves and a mask are gonna be my best bet. Atleast in regards to this project, would love to try the other...
  3. manny11701

This actually helps a lot, I'm searching now to see what's comparable in the US.
  4. manny11701

Apologies, it’s a TM tower that’s vented at the bottom with a Transmission line
  5. manny11701

I was literally debating doing that
  6. manny11701

Are you willing to share your source? That sounds like a great alternative
  7. manny11701

Currently at the build stage of making my enclosure, but I’m struggling to determine what a good sound dampening material is for the box. Some people say the cheap poly fill that’s in your pillows is enough, but i also just watched a video by audio judgement on how sound dampening material...
  8. manny11701

Does every tower need a port?

This is also another great point/tips. I was planning on using a sub and then tuning at around 62hz - 65hz for the low-end. The two Mid-woofers have a decent range and they could get down to 31hz in a ported box, but I've just never been a fan of ported speakers. I like things to have their...
  9. manny11701

You're gonna make me learn VCad when I DON'T WANNA :'((( Lol, you do make a great point though. I mainly thought the purpose of VCad was just designing the cross-over, but I can see from your example that's not the case. I think I'll use XSim to get the crossover design down and then I can plug...
  10. manny11701

So in-regard to the tower, I've decided to go the sealed route. I'll be using 2 Dayton Audio DA175-8 7" Aluminum Cone Woofers paired with Dayton Audio ND25FA-4 1" Soft Dome Neodymium Tweeter. I was using WinISD until I got to the point where I know the speakers wouldn't destroy themselves in...
  11. manny11701

I see what you mean, the SPL looks a lot better with a Q =0.7. Thanks for the tip, it's been a big help! @moonlight rainbow dream, this version does allow for multiple drivers, though I didn't realize that there were more current versions of WinISD, I'll take a look! Thanks! When I googled...
  12. manny11701

So I've decided on going with a sealed tower and will be pairing it with a sub that will cross over at 60hz. I just had a question about cubic feet in an enclosure: When using 2 drivers in a sealed enclosure, do you simply double the sealed volume to build your box? can you go bigger and it be...
  13. manny11701

Thanks Prana! Appreciate this! I was actually looking up drivers in my price range and plugging them in randomly to see how close to good I'd get, but this should help save me some time!
  14. manny11701

Wow, my next steps have already been planned out for me! Phew, that's some time that I can save! I will say that I did have to google what a basreflex was and unfortunately I am going for a sealed tower, so maybe for a future project? It does sound like you must have gone down this route...
  15. manny11701

I gotta get the box figured out first, but we’ll get there
  16. manny11701

That’s a fair question that I’m asking myself. For me the cliche of loving a challenge and loving to learn a new skill are my main drives for this project. I also don’t want to give someone else my money. When taking r&d and the supply chain into account, the cost of thousand+ dollar speakers...
  17. manny11701

The yellow line is the sealed enclosure, the blue is the ported with no EQ. This is definitely a lot of fun, even just playing with these values and seeing what kind of response I can get.
  18. manny11701

I see what you mean, I plugged in the default Linkwitz just to see what it'd do in WinISD, but when I look at the cone excursion, it's OFF THE CHARTS! (literally)
  19. manny11701

I'm not sure either, I think they meant you can sense more base presence, but it's more scattered, but a sealed box has a more direct punch. I've always leaned more towards the latter, though again, I was 16 when I heard this statement and I'm now 29, so I can't speak to the original coiner of...
  20. manny11701

That's exactly what I want to know! I've heard the basic 'ported gives you louder base, sealed gives you cleaner base' when it comes to car audio, but I learned that back when I was a kid and now that I'm looking to design my own speakers -partially for the love of hifi, partially because I'm a...
Top Bottom