Search results

1. 3

Anthem STR Preamp Connection Question

Hey there, I have an Anthem STR Pre AND am thinking of getting an SVS Micro 3000 so you’ll have to let me know how this sounds AFAIK the room correction corrects for the output as heard by the ARC mic, and so compensates by whatever margin to get the sound in the room to match the target...
  2. 3

Why reconstruction filters? Just intermodulation distortion?

Indeed we are, thanks :) Thanks for the rapid response, the large amplitude 100Hz signal imaged at 43.9KHz brings the point home, thank you!
  3. 3

Evening all. Firstly apologies for delayed reply, my wife and young daughter became ill and after looking after them inevitebly caught the bug myself so have been distracted from audio fun and learning for a little while. Thanks for the link Don - I've now read that and the other two of your...
  4. 3

Hi ASR, I watched Amir's video on clipping which was very interesting. There was a penny-drop moment when Amir described how a 12KHz square wave is effectively a 12KHz sine wave with odd harmonics added at decreasing amplitudes, and that if you apply a low-pass filter you get a pure sine wave. I...
  5. 3

Do low power amps lack bass? Or do they clip?

Just checking in to say thanks to everyone for the detailed replies. My questions have been answered, my understanding of clipping enhanced and my scepticism of some of the subjectivist explanations justified. As a bonus the conversation seems to have extended into deeper topics on feedback that...
  6. 3

Do low power amps lack bass? Or do they clip?

Hi ASR, I was listening to Darko.audio podcast where the Enlium AMP-23R was discussed - yes I know Darko is a subjectivist, but he is listenable and I enjoy trying to figure out where the holes are, which brings me to my question. The amp is 25w per channel into 8 ohms, 45w into 4 ohms. Darko...
  7. 3

Question about amplitude, frequency and energy in an audio signal

Thanks for explaining, I think my original questions are now fully answered and my understanding is greatly improved! Thank you! And thanks to you and everyone for taking the time to reply, having these pennies drop has been very satisfying!
  8. 3

Thanks, that makes sense. So in order for a full range speaker to have a flat frequency response at a given input voltage, it needs to consume more power at lower frequencies to compensate for decreased efficiency. How does it do this? I recognise many speakers will have lower impedance at lower...
  9. 3

Thank you @NTK - this has explained it perfectly, my understanding of the relationship of the driver to the voltage signal has been corrected! This leads me back to the original question - if we go back to that simplified driver with constant impedance, shouldn't a fixed amplitude signal sweep...
  10. 3

Wow! Mind blown. This is new information for me thank you! (note it actually has a quarter of the excursion as frequency appears to be inversely proportional to the square of exursion) How does this all come together though? I now know that: To maintain a flat SPL from a speaker across...
  11. 3

That is at most 6db increasing from the baffle step right? So that is one doubling, but there needs to be many more to account for the change in energy used to drive a tweeter vs a woofer. Is the amplitude in the voltage not directly / linearly proportional to the driver excursion and hence...
  12. 3

Hi, I've been trying to wrap my head around why low frequencies require more power to generate and why in a complex audio signal the amplitude gets lower as the frequency gets higer. In performing some research I have confirmed the following 5 points, please correct them if they are wrong...
  13. 3

Is Hi-Res Audio better because filter is outside audible range?

Thanks very much everyone for the detailed responses, lots to get into here. In addition to replies here, I found this page very useful in helping me understand why filters in the frequency domain cause issues (rininging) in the time domai, if anyone is interested. @KSTR this was super...
  14. 3

Is Hi-Res Audio better because filter is outside audible range?

Hi all, I listened to the Darko Audio podcast 10 hi-fi myths busted with Peter Comeau, and have questions about the first myth "Hi-res audio sounds better because of its ultrasonic content". I figured this would be the best place to get some straight, evidence based answers :) I know there will...
Top Bottom