Search results

1. R

Measuring Some Vintage Speakers

Nice to see that graph. I've hear people say these speakers with the 035ti tweeter go bad and sound harsh because damping material in the tweeter disintegrates. But this measurement doesn't show any obvious problem in the treble.
  2. R

Yamaha RX-596 Receiver Review

It might just be a potentiometer that needs cleaning. In the meantime, if you turn the amp off and turn the knob back and forth a number of times, it might improve things a bit. I've heard conflicting advice on what to use to clean pots. Some people say to use Caig DeOxit D5. Others say it will...
  3. R

Any experience or reviews for "Tivoli Audio Cube"?

I have to dissent. I've had the Tivoli radios before. They look really cool and I wanted to like them, but the sound is not that great. It tries too hard with EQing the little 3-inch speaker. You end up with "impressive" but very boomy bass and rough treble. It sounds impressive but it's...
  4. R

Yamaha R-S202 Receiver Review

Is the "high noise" actually a problem? Can you hear any hum if you hook it up to speakers?
  5. R

I've been bewitched by Bose

No, those weren't phased arrays. A phased array uses multiple transducers with different delays on them so they they are in-phase on one particular axis. In this case the idea is that you make a beam far off to the side so that it will bounce off the side walls and create a stereo field wider...
  6. R

I've been bewitched by Bose

I read somewhere that some of the Bose soundbars use the transducers as a phased array to bounce beams off of the side walls of the room.
  7. R

Open Ear Audio That Still Sound Ok But Allow For Situational Awareness?

Apple's Airpods (or the more expensive wireless Airpods) have little isolation. The sound quality is mediocre and I wouldn't use them for music much but they work fine for podcasts.
  8. R

what are your industrial design favorites?

Have you had any problems with it? I tried looking on eBay for one, as my dad had one when I was a kid and I always thought it looked cool. He used it just as a preamp. But they apparently have some problems with longevity and often require repair. I never bought one since a fully refurbished...
  9. R

what are your industrial design favorites?

Advent Model 300 receiver.
  10. R

Best 'Bang for your buck' IEM - Poll

I like the Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic. $80 for dual-driver IEMS. I like them a lot, they sound good, they're comfortable, compact and they look good. They seemed to get a lot of bad reviews for some reason. A lot complained of weak bass. I don't know why, as the bass isn't...
  11. R

Real Video Upscaling using AI!

I was under the impression that the DS9 set footage was shot on film so AI upscaling of that wouldn't be necessary, just re-scanning the film. The issue is the special effects and space scenes were done in SD, and the 3D spaceship assets were lost. It seems to me that if they don't have the...
  12. R

What makes big speakers sound "big"and smaller ones sound "small"?

My theory is that bookshelves always sound small because of the floor-bounce cancellation in the upper bass. I've never been able to get bookshelves with a sub to sound quite as good as a floorstanding tower with a big woofer near the floor, or multiple woofers. Even if I turn up the subs it...
  13. R

A warm bookshelf

On the used market, the Energy RC-10 is slightly warm sounding with a 5.25" woofer in a fairly small cabinet . And it looks nice, with real-wood veneers.
  14. R

Quality speakers for classical music with high output/volume

That sounds like how Yamaha's variable loudness on their stereo receivers works.
  15. R

Yamaha RX-596 Receiver Review

Would this be a significant upgrade from an RX-496? They seem to be really close in power, 6-20% difference depending on which spec you're looking at. About two pounds weight difference. I wonder why they bother to make the two models.
  16. R

Audiophile alternative to Sonos Five

NAD/PSB used to make a boombox-sized, AC-powered Ipod/Bluetooth speaker called the NAD Viso 1 that had excellent sound quality and good bass. Flat down to about 50 Hz. Its main deficiencies are a lack of stereo separation, and the treble is kinda directional so they sound a bit warm/dull but...
  17. R

Are there any kind of baffle designs that help with desk reflections?

Wouldn't that only work if your head is always in one position? If you move, the reflection distances and the cancellation frequencies will change. Unless you're going to have your head in a vice, that could end up making things worse.
  18. R

Which speakers gave you the *wow* factor?

PSB Image B25. First good, pretty accurate modern speaker I owned and heard, coming from hand-me-down vintage speakers and muddy Vandersteen 1C's. I felt like I could hear a hundred times as much detail as I had ever heard before.
Top Bottom