Search results

1. B

Bricks List: 36V & 48V Power Supplies (for Fosi, Aiyima etc.)

At least in the U.S. context, this is more myth than fact -- maybe it's true elsewhere, but hereabouts most abodes have dozens of uncertified items from extension cords to nightlights connected up to AC mains without any insurance consequences in the event of a mishap. There are a multitude of...
  2. B

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

I've never felt more vindicated in my decision to run my old A07s on 48VDC -- that makes total sense and lines up nicely with actual measurements. I'm smiling because those little things are driving 8 ohm speakers, making the higher voltage an advantage.
  3. B

Most likely confirmation bias is involved in such opinions. I just "upgraded" my old A07s by giving them each their own 48V 10A SMPS, and my impression has been that the system sounds a little better -- but, knowing that such offhand observations have a huge psychological component, I'd never...
  4. B

These reports are sort of like restaurant reviews on Yelp or some such in that the satisfied users rarely have anything to say and complaints from disappointed users overwhelmingly dominate. Chip amps don't demand anything near the rated current of the PSU for anywhere near as long as a 3-D...
  5. B

True, but you can sure AF get industrial SMPS units for far fewer $$ per amp than a nominally equivalent "power brick": About $50 for a 48V 10A unit on eBay and even less via AliExpress. Of course a little DIY is required, so don't pursue this alternative unless you understand how to deal with...
  6. B

This thread makes me very glad I power my chip amps with industrial SMPS units rather than what amount to supersized "wall warts" -- I'm just sayin'.... :cool:
  7. B

Fair enough -- thanks! :cool:
  8. B

For the umpteenth time, I hereby testify that my two four year old A07s are still performing flawlessly after spending most of those years powered up 24/7 on 48VDC, despite their obviously deficient thermal design and 50V-rated Nichicon filter caps. Real world music listening is a far cry from...
  9. B

FWIW, I've been running two of my A07s -- with those 50VDC-rated Nichicon caps -- on 48VDC for about four years pretty much 24/7 with no issues whatsoever.
  10. B

Mechano23 Open-source DIY Speaker Review

DIY makes no sense unless you actually enjoy the DIY process and/or if there's no other way to get the item you want.
  11. B

Schiit Vidar 2 Stereo Amplifier Review

Even the now-ubiquitous TI TPA3255 Class D output IC has been around for about eight years -- I for one have never heard of a single "chip amp" failure that can be traced to some reliability issue with that IC.
  12. B

Schiit Vidar 2 Stereo Amplifier Review

Except they're now in Texas. The A07 design is at least four years old and still sells for under $50USD shipped. I own four, two of which have been powered-up 24/7 for most of those four years with no issues whatsoever. Their SINAD and available power are more than adequate for my particular...
  13. B

Mechano23 Open-source DIY Speaker Review

A front-ported version would be aces for yours truly -- because of placement issues, a rear port is a no-go here. Making the enclosure from suitably braced MDF and a group buy on the components would lower the cost significantly, as would a no-crossover version for DSP-based bi-amping.
  14. B

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

We had a pair of those too. Their performance was embarrassing compared to similarly priced AR and KLH models, but our audio buyer was good friends with Rudy Bozak, so there's that....
  15. B

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

Back when I was an audio sales drone circa 1970, we had a pair of those sitting just outside the showroom gathering dust. Nobody was the least bit interested, but just for fun we hooked them up and listened -- definitely not impressive, especially considering their massive size. I have no idea...
  16. B

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

I really didn't quite get just how much of a fool Mr. Alexander actually is until I read these bullet points from the sales page of his $1900/pair "Perfect SET" speakers: The Perfect SET – designed and optimized for ‘single-ended triode’ 8 Ohm impedance – for optimum ‘single-ended triode’...
  17. B

Mr. Alexander is way out of his depth trying to contend with ethical, technically adept folks like Amir. My guess is that he doesn't own suitable test gear for properly characterizing his products and relies on simulations, his ears, and/or his ego when making his lavish performance claims...
  18. B

Another (purely subjective) reviewer chimes in.
  19. B

In his second review, Erin (IMO correctly) surmised that the resonance was the result of inadequate bracing of the top of the enclosure by simply turning the speaker upside down and remeasuring. Having the full weight of the speaker pressing down on that side of the enclosure apparently...
Top Bottom