• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2021 Desktop Setup - Your audio auditioning/archiving system

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please share a photo of your 2021 audio archive desktop setup.
It can be ugly or odd lets see where you analyze your audio.

Requirements: use this post as example.

IMG_1608 - Copy.jpg

Audio: Sabaj DA3 Balanced DAC + Panasonic SC-GA10 Smart speakers.
(Audition system is intentionally lower fidelity than reference system so I always get that "kick" from listening on the reference system)

Desktop Components (optional): 31.5-inch AOC monitor, Mount-it! Aluminum monitor stand, Magicforce/Qisan 69-key keyboard, Microsoft 1850 mouse, Eneloop 2100-cycle rechargeable batteries, MicroSD->SD card adapter.

Last edited:
OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

The only time my desk look as clean as yours is when I take a picture of it, and that would take some effort :)

Please consider sharing even if it is chaos/messy (wires everywhere etc).
As long as that is how it looks.

I am a subconscious minimalist if that explains it. . .
The photo is framed intentionally, I did have a few things on the desk out of frame (2 CD's + more stationary).

Last edited:

Jose Hidalgo

I just needed to post this here. This is not me, but this guy is probably having the time of his life with his $10K Genelecs. :D
Looking closely you can also discern his $6K Susvara heapdhones. Not to mention the fancy tube amp. :p

index.jpg

Kachda

Forum Donor
I just needed to post this here. This is not me, but this guy is probably having the time of his life with his $10K Genelecs. :D
Looking closely you can also discern his $6K Susvara heapdhones. Not to mention the fancy tube amp. :p

View attachment 135837
If I had a setup like that, I’d feel the genelec cyclops are watching and judging me all te time

Jose Hidalgo

Thankfully the 8361A's are self-amped, so I'm sure they sound pretty nice in that close field setup. :cool:
Heck, who are we fooling ? Let's not be jealous, I'm sure even the Susvara sounds OK on the tube amp. :p

About the W371, I really wish Genelec had spent a little more time and effort on the aesthetics, because they are ugly as hell. I mean, I could see myself owning a pair of 83xx, but I could never own a pair of W371. They look cheap, and they don't even match the monitors' look ! :facepalm:

index.jpg

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

Thankfully the 8361A's are self-amped, so I'm sure they sound pretty nice in that close field setup. :cool:
Heck, who are we fooling ? Let's not be jealous, I'm sure even the Susvara sounds OK on the tube amp. :p

About the W371, I really wish Genelec had spent a little more time and effort on the aesthetics, because they are ugly as hell. I mean, I could see myself owning a pair of 83xx, but I could never own a pair of W371. They look cheap, and they don't even match the monitors' look ! :facepalm:

View attachment 135844

What bothers me about this photo is the left monitor is not sitting in its isopod properly.

Genelec 83xx’s and W371A are strictly designed to be studio monitors in a professional environment.
(Customers judge them as functional tools and therefore aesthetics is the last concern)

And of course looks are subjective. I think the 83xx’s look weird and the W371A’s are over-priced but none of that matters to Genelec or their customers.

e.g. one of customer feedback shared by Genelec themselves was “we need more SPL from this model”.

I would use the word ugly to describe those weird speakers that look like jewelry covered ancient artefacts and cost as much as a house.

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

If I had a setup like that, I’d feel the genelec cyclops are watching and judging me all te time

I think it’s obvious the human sitting in the chair is possessed by those one legged cyclops. All actions after this photo was taken are pre-determined and the body has nothing inside. Empty human.

Jose Hidalgo

Genelec 83xx’s and W371A are strictly designed to be studio monitors in a professional environment.
(Customers judge them as functional tools and therefore aesthetics is the last concern)
That is correct and I'm well aware of it. :)
With that said, if aesthetics really was the last concern, then the 83xx could have been box-shaped too, at least from the outside, with the exception of the wave guide. Since they aren't, I think Genelec could at least have made the tiny effort of giving the W371A a similar outside look without compromising quality. Anyway, I'm more interested in things like the D&D 8C. At least they have performance AND aesthetics, which is always nice in a home environment.

Top Bottom