• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Arcam rHead opinion

Hi, I was looking for an amp for a new HE4XX that I ordered and came across some reviews of this on InnerFidelity and some other sites. Some people here seem to own this and it would be great if you could give some opinions.

I am looking for a neutral amp which can drive a HE4XX well. I also would like it to pair well with any DAC, as I don't want to change my amp if I decide to change my DAC (vice versa also). I am hearing a lot that some amps (with its own colouration of sound, I guess) does not pair well with some amps. I was looking at O2, Topping A30 and EL Amp when I came across this. There are no real measurements as far as I could see, but it seems to have a well-regulated power supply. I was also intrigued by the volume pot on this. The output impedance of sub-1ohm on both outputs puts this above Topping A30, at double the cost. Output power is better than O2, other than that, I have no idea how this fares against O2.

So, any opinion regarding its sound signature, neutrality (transparency, as I don't want it to take any input and make it neutral, I guess), power output with something similar to HE4XX (49 ohms, 88.3 dB sensitivity according to InnerFidelity) would be really helpful. Thanks.

If you're looking for something in the "budget"range, you can take a look and check out for reviews of the Breeze Audio HA5000 based headphone amp. Discrete output stage and sub 1 Ohm output impedance and plenty of power to boot.

I have NOT heard it myself but I have seen maybe 2 (personal, non-pro ) reviews of it being pretty good. They are sub-US$100 if you look in the right places.

Edit: I have NOT heard it myself. My apologies.

Last edited:
Breeze's HA5000 clone looks good. But, I can't seem to find much info on it, other than the head-fi thread. @maxxevv What other gear did you use with this? AliExpress site mentions the Alps 27 pot and other good quality components in use (though these could be clones). Looks like a solid challenge for Topping A30, though measurements seems lower (other than better output impedance) at the same price point. I will add this also to the units in consideration.

I wouldn't mind spending some more money, but I need something which would last me for a few years (something which stops me from looking for a new amp:D) . I am waiting on @amirm 's review of A30, in the mean time, I am exploring other possiblities. Also, the impedance issue since I also have other low impedence IEMs and headphones.

I didn't realise I missed the important word "NOT".

I think I remember reading someone's comment on DIY Audio. Let me search a bit...

Ah... here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...ifier.html?s=6f71c62333316c925e6da60b19278327
Oh, thanks for the clarification. About the link, I saw that one, but mistook it for a head-fi page. Still, looking good for the price. If only Topping A50 had that kind of output impedance. Seems like they have an A50 in the making with lower impedance, but can't be sure of the output power at this point. Their response was that it might be lower. And I also assume the price to be around $200.

Top Bottom