• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Open Source Streamer Project

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey you all. I was wondering if I can get the community to help define, implement and grow an open-source, budget streamer. There are commercial solutions out there but I think we can do better than those.

Here are some aspects I am thinking of:

1. Built on a low cost, readily available hardware platform like RPi. Ethernet and Wifi support of course.

2. End-point support for Roon and Airplay. You call can suggest others.

3. Ability to download parametric EQ or FIR filters for speaker and room EQ. Integration with other tools should be provided for automatic Room EQ.

4. Support for active speakers using software crossovers and multiple external DACs. Support for sub-woofer outputs using independent DAC or whatever is in RPi if it is any good. If not, some kind of low cost HAT DAC.

5. GUI in a web-browser for configuration of above.

6. Support of optional display for cool animations/VU meters. I like explore very low latency implementation of this to keep better sync with music.

7. Cloud/automatic firmware update service with proper security fixes and implementation.

8. Availability of a complete solution in a case ready to go (sans DACs of course).

9. No need for internal UI to browse music and such. All of that will be driven by the client app elsewhere. Indeed the device should run headless out of the box. Per #5, web UI should be there for configuration.

I like us to organize this properly with a project leader and master decision maker in accepting changes, revisions, proper testing process and of course developers to work on these bits. I have one capable member (@StefaanE) volunteering to lead the project and some other bits but may need more development resources. I can be the marketing/product planning person. :)

This will be an adjunct to project @Rick Sykora is running on open-source ASR speaker design. I look to him to be the high level keeper of all of these sub-projects but need a "butt on the line" for this subsystem.

I don't have a name for this project so feel free to suggest some.

Some parts of the above are easy to do but the rest may present some challenges. Let's put all of our energy and resources toward it as I think we badly need such a simple, reliable, yet highly functional product. I know I need one as I am tired of maintaining my Windows PC based server for this use.

To get things started, let's have a discussion on above feature list and define it. Plus see who all can volunteer to help with what part of it.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

diyaudnut

Hi Amir, great idea.

Question on #4. For supporting DSP crossovers of active speakers, will this behave similar to a standalone DSP unit (like miniDSP) ?
Basically once the crossover is finalized and baked in, can the device just boot up and be ready to play music.
I gave up on PC based crossover approach where I have to boot the PC, fire up Jriver with its convolution engine ready before i can play any music.

Also i suppose USB will be the link to external multichannel DAC?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Question on #4. For supporting DSP crossovers of active speakers, will this behave similar to a standalone DSP unit (like miniDSP) ?
Basically once the crossover is finalized and baked in, can the device just boot up and be ready to play music.
Yes. Since the streamer already has the digital data, it can process it on the way out to the DAC.

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
Looks like a completely new distribution/image for a SBC/Raspberry Pi (like Volumio, Ropieee, HifiBerryOS,...) aggregating existing proyects (like CamillaDSP/BruteFIR?) with new developments (6. Vumeters, 3. Premade EQ/FIR distribution,...).

I didn’t like Volumio’s decision to stick with an old Debian distro. Makes point 7 very difficult.

For point 1, a raspberry Pi seems to be the obvious choice. I have a closet full of other alternatives that don’t receive patches anymore (BananaPi, Cubieboard,...). But my old Rpi 1 still do!

Is raspotify out of the question?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would there be some red tape involved with Roon certification? If its Chromecast capable, Roon can cast to it - this might be quicker to get to, at least for the initial version.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
@amirm

These modules may or may not be of interest:

https://www.streamunlimited.com/hardware-modules/

Yes. This is much preferred to RPi (for example).

Stream810 supports:

- Official Airplay 2 (even the Shairport emulator does not support Airplay 2)
- Official Chromecast Built-in - can't be done with Linux still

I imagine Roon is easily added - no licensing costs.

See below

https://www.streamunlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Stream810-V3.3.pdf

1614576715344.png

BillG

Major Contributor
I love this idea!

If I may suggest, don't skip Google cast! If there's roon, google cast and airplay, pretty much everyone can use!

One of the modules in my post, the STREAM 810 to be exact, supports Google Cast and AirPlay 2. I don't if it would be applicable to an open source project, though. (I had it in mind for a project of my own a while back.)

SnoopKatt

How about digital out as an option (via coax/optical)? That way it will be compatible with most existing digital setups (would allow for end-users to reuse their DAC).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I love this idea!

If I may suggest, don't skip Google cast! If there's roon, google cast and airplay, pretty much everyone can use!

The site will be quickly sued for intellectual property infringement if that’s the case. Or it won’t be open source anymore.

jae

Major Contributor
If there is a desire for additional hardware/daughter boards for the platform if using something RPi-based, what about some kind of stacking modular system? RPi + 4 channel hat with 4 xlr out. Perhaps others would be encouraged to make other modules such one that adds an additional 4 outputs (for handing woofers and/or 3-way speakers), a dedicated DAC, another which adds ADC capabilities for on-device recording or calibration (like https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...38ap-with-distortions-analyzer-onboard.13799/), and one for additional digital inputs.

Makes me wonder why all the chinese audio companies like topping etc. aren't just making combo amp/dacs with some kind of rpi/embedded system support and then letting the community sort out their own software (or at providing their own, something similar to the Matrix products). The number of commits to these extant open source projects would probably grow overnight. Okto had the right idea when they made a stereo version of their 8-channel dac and put a raspberry pi in there and I think their 8-channel one needs the same treatment.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds about like MoOde Audio's OS.
Indeed this seems to already support all of the points (or will in near future version). Why start another effort if there are already so many options out there? Would be better to pick one and the concentrate on the few features that might be missing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would there be some red tape involved with Roon certification?
Whatever it is, we need to go through because I need it. :) But yes, if Chromecast gets us, then sure. Is that API and implantation available (chromecast)?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom