• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio components for connecting multiple subwoofers: Double Bass Array and DSP

Matze

I currently have a system consisting of an RPi 4 with moode audio and CamillaDSP connected to a Topping D90 III Sabre. I want to expand this system with a double bass array consisting of 4 subwoofers with DSP. I know that there are Hypex FA251 FusionAmps with their own DSP, but I would prefer to continue using CamillaDSP for everything.

Hifi-DSP-Kette.png

Now, I have devised an implementation of a double bass array using a Motu M4 connected to the RCA output of the Topping D90 III Sabre (which can output XLR and RCA simultaneously) in my hi-fi chain (see diagram), but I still have doubts about whether this is the right approach. Firstly, using the first DSP for the left and right channels of the stereo speakers would also affect the signal for the subwoofers. I'm not sure if the two DSPs would then run synchronously. I would be very grateful for advice and also hardware recommendations on how to integrate a double bass array of 4 subwoofers into my system. I recently acquired the DAC and would prefer not to have to get rid of it as I really like the sound of the DAC.

OP
M

Matze

Perhaps my request is too specific regarding the Double Bass Array with CamillaDSP.

It would already help me to know the best way to get 4 separate or 6 separate channels. For instance, I could use an audio interface via AES digital into the DAC. Is this maybe an idea so that I don't have to work with multiple DSPs? However, I can't seem to find the appropriate high-quality components for this.

Do I even need to operate each subwoofer separately on its own channel, or can the two front and the two rear ones each be connected to one channel? There must be one channel for the front and one for the rear, so that you can adjust a corresponding delay for the rear subwoofers to the reflection of the front subwoofers on the back wall, and then it is also shifted by 180° in phase for cancellation this reflection.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do I even need to operate each subwoofer separately on its own channel, or can the two front and the two rear ones each be connected to one channel? There must be one channel for the front and one for the rear, so that you can adjust a corresponding delay for the rear subwoofers to the reflection of the front subwoofers on the back wall, and then it is also shifted by 180° in phase for cancellation this reflection.
You only need 2 channels, one channel for the front subwoofers and one channel for the back. The principle behind double bass array is to generate and maintain a plane wave in the room, therefore the front subwoofers all produce the same sound (both magnitude and phase) as each other, and the back ones do the same.

You may also want to checkout this thread.

Top Bottom