• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio interface under 350€ that can power HD660s2

Shayzer

Hello,

I know that my question might sound stupid, but right now I have an audio interface, the UMC202HD. I just got HD660s2 and was going to buy the SMSL DL200 (or FiiO K7 maybe because of the balanced output) as DAC/AMP, but, I was wondering if there is a good audio interface under 350€ that would have a great spec with a good headphone output? I am asking this because I would like to be able to monitor myself with autotune in my DAW without latency.

Another idea would be to keep my UMC202HD, and just buy the DL200/FiiO K7 like I was planning, and when I am singing I would use my razer headphone plugged to my 202HD to monitor my voice, and once I've finished recording, I would switch my DAW output to the DL200.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I was wondering if there is a good audio interface under 350€ that would have a great spec with a good headphone output?
Tons, in fact. 300 ohm Sennheisers are not hard to drive per se, you just need a decent amount of voltage (let's say >2 Vrms, or 13 mW) with decently low distortion and moderately low output impedance (let's say <50 ohms or so).

How's the Behringer faring now?

Let me borrow @Julian Krause's famous headphone output performance chart:
jk hpout 4_.png

There is enough choice that I'd be looking at more than just the headphone output performance. There must be half a dozen good candidates at least. Audient iD14 MkII, Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 4th Gen, MOTU M2/M4, SSL 2(+), Topping E2X2 (OK, maybe wait for the 2nd batch) and UAA Volt (misc. models) would all be good contenders. EVO 4, Arturia Minifuse and Zoom UAC-232 would also be decent, and the Tascam US-2x2HR could be helped out with an external headphone amp while still staying within budget (though it makes little economic sense).

Last edited:
OP
S

Shayzer

Hello,

Thanks for the help. The UMC202HD can make sound with the 660s2, but it's really awful to be honnest compared to my iFi Zen DAC v2 or Meizu Non Pro Hifi Dongle.

The Audient iD14 MkII looks really good in term of specs. Thanks

s4tch

Input impedance is a tad low. It's only 900 ohms for mic (even lower than the SSL 2 and way below the 2-3 kOhm average) and 6 kOhms for line. Should be 1.5 / 10 kOhms in the future.
I see, thanks. I'd only use it as a guitar interface so doesn't really bother me but will wait with the purchase for better futureproofing then.

Top Bottom