• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio specifications come with conditions

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rane have always struck me as a very decent and honest company, and one who's products I've trusted.

S

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yes, I have always liked Rane (used some of their gear back in my pro audio days).

I have never been a big fan of the SMPTE IMD method. It is very audio-specific and good for what it is, and much better than no IMD testing, but sweeping a pair of more closely spaced tones or doing a multitone test spanning the full range is much more demanding (and revealing) IME/IMO. That said, the SMPTE method is very much a "real-world" sort of test so I can't dislike it too much.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the twin tone sweeps. Here is an example of 1 khz separation with a -1dbfs input level for 3 DACs. Background goes to light gray at -120 dbFS. Easy to see which DAC is cleaner. You can see IMD, THD, imaging, or other spurious tones.
twin tone sweeps 3 dacs.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

That's hilarious, love to see companies with a sense of humor. Reminds me of the numerous old National circuits (e.g. the write-only memory,WOM, or the infamous incredibly complex op-amp in one of their databooks that careful tracing would show had one wire going from input to output, a straight wire without gain), or the Watkins-Johnson RF mixer plotting performance vs. phase of the moon.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Spelling is not their strong suit. Ecstasy not ecstacy.

Reminds me of the Abbey Road vinyl plugin:

abbey road plugin.JPG

I do like this part:

"If a unit's frequency response rises at any point, especially the endpoints, it indicates a fundamental instability problem and you should run from the store."

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's hilarious, love to see companies with a sense of humor. ...

Mackie Corp have / had references sprinkled throughout their literature to the Corporate Chihuahua. For example, in the specifications you might find a line such as "Weight of Corporate Chihuahua: 3.5 lb." (The chihuahua was real and sadly passed away a while ago, duly announced by press release.)

If you want to go down the rabbit hole on nonsensical audio equipment, Google "Funk Logic".

Krunok

Major Contributor

I am genuinely impressed with the Applications list! :D

Applications
  • New Age Seminars
  • Car Washes
  • High School Cafeterias
  • Funeral Homes
  • Executive Washrooms
  • High End Audio Demo Rooms
  • Community Access Cable Channels
  • Airport Baggage Claim Areas
  • Cars With Tiny Steering Wheels
  • Communications Scrambling
  • Railroad Crossing Warning Systems
  • Door Stops

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Mackie Corp have / had references sprinkled throughout their literature to the Corporate Chihuahua. For example, in the specifications you might find a line such as "Weight of Corporate Chihuahua: 3.5 lb." (The chihuahua was real and sadly passed away a while ago, duly announced by press release.)

If you want to go down the rabbit hole on nonsensical audio equipment, Google "Funk Logic".

Forgot about Mackie despite installing a number of their components over the years (been a while).

Have to check out Funk Logic...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Reactions: pts

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Attachments

• Audio_Specifications.pdf
    166 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Rane is under new ownership and now have a very different product line. Different people are doing the web-page and links come and go.

Top Bottom