• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile hobby is a scam?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Sun jam all the electronics ( if you choose decent measuring equipment) are blameless, transparent , that leaves you to choose loudspeakers which actually really do sound different from each other not from imagination but from their measurements.
A listener can choose to use electronics which add audible distortion if they choose.
Thats if electronics don’t have personalities or feelings they are just electrical components.
If something sounds different it will be evident in the measurements.
Keith

markanini

Major Contributor
Imagine if one said this:
"The audiophile market is driven by FOMO and Shiny object syndrome. This can only be enabled by the consumer."
I can already sense some people getting upset. But is this a warranted response, given that is merely descriptive, not prescriptive?

The only thing what could make a difference would be:
1. A non-free market , or
2. Consumers would be held responsible for their choices somehow, beyond having an empty wallet

I hate audio fads personally. But I would rather that my point of view remains a choice, just like believing in audiophile delusions is a choice. Given that the alterative sounds rather totalitarian.

sunjam

Sun jam all the electronics ( if you choose decent measuring equipment) are blameless, transparent , that leaves you to choose loudspeakers which actually really do sound different from each other not from imagination but from their measurements.
A listener can choose to use electronics which add audible distortion if they choose.
Thats if electronics don’t have personalities or feelings they are just electrical components.
If something sounds different it will be evident in the measurements.
Keith
Thanks a lot for your reply. I understand your view point.

To me, it is down to the last line I highlighted above.

It is a belief IMHO rather than a fact. With my background, I could say I know measurement and its limitations (e.g. Engineering tolerance) well enough and I would consider all the measurements are for reference only.

Top Bottom