• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Review

Rate this audio cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 225 82.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 12.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters

TabCam

I see a big difference between the test/graphs of this test and the original review of the chord Hugo 2 dac.
This was the multitone for the original review
Chord Hugo 2 Toslink Measurements Multitone Response Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier.png

(odd thing, the image is called "Chord Hugo 2 Toslink Measurements Multitone Response Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier.png" in the original review)

Chord Hugo 2 Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Multitone Measurements.png

In my eyes this is quite an improvement, both cleaner and lower. The same can be said for the jitter test:
Chord Hugo 2 Toslink Measurements Jitter Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier.png
Chord Hugo 2 Audioquest Pearl USB Cable jitter Measurements.png

Much improved also and much closer to the original toslink

The same is visible in the SINAD dashboard
Chord Hugo 2 USB Measurements Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier.png

The performance over usb was impeded compared to toslink in the original review but now it looks the 5-9 dB improved:
Chord Hugo 2 Generic USB Cable Measurements.png

I could have inserted the AudioQuest Pearl SINAD dashboard but I do not want to cherry pick graphs and say the AudioQuest Pearl improves the performance of the Chord Hugo. However, it still seems there is a difference in the graph as the blue seems quite a bit lower which does not translate into the numbers.
Chord Hugo 2 Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Measurements.png

Either the original USB cable was malfunctioning or another measurement error was made in the original review. In any case I think @amirm should correct the original review of the Chord Hugo 2, and maybe change his recommendation for the Chord Hugo 2 also?

At the same time I see differences between graphs that I would like to see investigate further.

Last food for thought; how is it possible that this was not seen/mentioned earlier? We say we understand the effect it has on the readers but is the first impression not the most important? Should we then not be very critical at measurements and double check before leaping to conclusions?

Attachments

• Chord Hugo 2 Toslink Measurements Multitone Response Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier.png
    Chord Hugo 2 Toslink Measurements Multitone Response Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Chord Hugo 2 Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Multitone Measurements.png
    Chord Hugo 2 Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Multitone Measurements.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Chord Hugo 2 Toslink Measurements Jitter Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier.png
    Chord Hugo 2 Toslink Measurements Jitter Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Chord Hugo 2 Audioquest Pearl USB Cable jitter Measurements.png
    Chord Hugo 2 Audioquest Pearl USB Cable jitter Measurements.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Chord Hugo 2 USB Measurements Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier (1).png
    Chord Hugo 2 USB Measurements Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier (1).png
    39.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Chord Hugo 2 Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Measurements.png
    Chord Hugo 2 Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Measurements.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Chord Hugo 2 USB Measurements Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier.png
    Chord Hugo 2 USB Measurements Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Chord Hugo 2 Generic USB Cable Measurements.png
    Chord Hugo 2 Generic USB Cable Measurements.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 46

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I use the Diamond USB, don't care what SINAD says but certainly a big upgrade sonically over a standard USB A-B cable.

It's certainly a price upgrade. For some, that's all they need for veils to be lifted.

Unfortunately, no actual evidence, but why let that stop you?

EBrumbaugh

Great review, as always, Amir. While not an expensive option, still you’re wasting 30+ dollars on a cable that is no different than generic … you’re basically getting inexpensive system jewelry. What’s more troubling to me is a company like Audio Quest making the claims it does, misrepresenting their product. If it did all they said it did, then they’d show their measurements, but they don’t, because they know they can’t support the advertising language. That’s just not right. Thanks again for all the work you do, very much appreciated.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is something immoral in spending money so frivolously. If you care so little about your money, buy a $20 cable and give $4980 to charity.
Spending $20 million on a yacht is immoral to some too. It is a slippery slope is all I’m saying. I know it’s semantics but I would say unnecessary is a better term than immoral.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Have you tried anti-chew spray?

I don't know how effective something like that is. Long-acting? Although the cat may quickly learn to beware of the cables?

Or if it smells bad but they are supposed to be for indoor use so then it shouldn't smell bad, for us humans that is.:)

View attachment 223903

Aren't cats supposed to hate anything citrus? Would a quick wipe with lemon-scented polish do the job?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Aren't cats supposed to hate anything citrus? Would a quick wipe with lemon-scented polish do the job?
Very possible BUT it might degrade the sound? Paul at PS Audio or Danny at GR Research can explain that. They can probably produce some audio proof anti-chew spray. ;)

Edit:
Or if some manufacturer of expensive cables get a whiff of this. Damn how quickly they will produce an audiofool "proof" safe spray then. He he. :)

Last edited:

roog

Forum Donor
He is trying to provide a public service to non-members, who might just drop in from a search engine.
This is how I found this place and after suffering near neural paralysis from reading so much subjective twaddle on other hifi forums I found this place to be a relief.

The whole subjective belief thing is so strong due to repeated reinforcement by gurus who shall not be challenged and humiliation at the hands of the mob that it could take some time to make an impact but at least the facts are there if someone were to land here.

I am currently reading a book by Douglas Self Audio Power Amplifier Design and I was quite surprised by the length and depth of his section on subjectivists tendencies, good chap!

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
Very possible BUT it might degrade the sound? Paul at PS Audio or Danny at GR Research can explain that. They can probably produce some audio proof anti-chew spray. ;)
Comes as a paste in a little, hand-blown glass jar housed in a walnut box. Applied with a fine, deerskin cloth.

welsh

Yeah, but it's only the basic "pearl" model... pearl is "semi-transparent" or "veiled" is likely their meaning and diamond is "transparent and very solid", with stages in between.

I doubt many Audioquest customers opt for the cheapest of their range, or will "upgrade" at one point due to being made to feel the first choice was inadequate.

Otherwise, I'd agree in general that the cable works fine... however what about their false marketing claims of audible improvements etc.?

JSmith
I was once told never to order the second-cheapest bottle of wine in a restaurant, because lots of people choose it in order not to appear total cheapskates, and it is marked up accordingly. With cables - just go with the cheapest ones with acceptable build quality. How FraudioQuest engineers a huge range of cables that sound progressively ‘better’ at increasing price points has always been a mystery to me…

DonR

Major Contributor
I was once told never to order the second-cheapest bottle of wine in a restaurant, because lots of people choose it in order not to appear total cheapskates, and it is marked up accordingly. With cables - just go with the cheapest ones with acceptable build quality. How FraudioQuest engineers a huge range of cables that sound progressively ‘better’ at increasing price points has always been a mystery to me…
A strong pre-dinner drink will level the playing field for all wines. When auditioning a cable, listen to some death metal on IEMs first. All cables will then be equally attractive. :D

DanielT

Major Contributor
But costs US $41 thats not the whole world. If it's good-looking, if you, ..uhhh....are in need of good-looking USB Cable? People can turn on things that you don't turn on yourself, you need to have an open mind (by the way, nop USB cables, nothing that turns me on). Sensible connectors? Rigid, flexibly, bendable?:)

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
It's certainly a price upgrade. For some, that's all they need for veils to be lifted.

Unfortunately, no actual evidence, but why let that stop you?
You see how each and every thread gets attacked hahaha. I swear they wait for a review of there item and pounce.

Recall my discussion on the other thread

Either they are being told like “hey didn’t you you buy that cable?” Or they stalking the forums which would be better or no clue how they end up here and different people everytime from numerous continents

Top Bottom