• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

hilofi

I'm new to the audiophile scene. I'd like to know if the Fulla 2 or E10K is a better purchase as a DAC/amp. I prefer these due to their semi-portability and the fact they double as both a DAC/amp on my travels.

I'll eventually purchase more powerful standalone desktop DACs and amps if/when I end up getting a pair of more power-hungry cans. But right now, I'm unable to decide between the Fulla 2 or E10K, and I'd like some guidance regarding that. Thanks in advance!

Geshelli

Audio Company
Hi, This is Sherri from Geshelli Labs. One of our customers told me there was a post here about our DAC. Hit us up on our website, there is a link to our email where we will answer any questions you may have. I will be contacting amirm as well, to give further information on our products.

Thanks and happy listening

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi, This is Sherri from Geshelli Labs. One of our customers told me there was a post here about our DAC. Hit us up on our website, there is a link to our email where we will answer any questions you may have. I will be contacting amirm as well, to give further information on our products.

Thanks and happy listening
Hello Sherri. Welcome to to the forum. The request was for me to review/measure your product. Please contact me ("start a conversation") if you are interested in that.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome Sherri! I always wonder, with so many DAC manufacturers already around at a wide range of price points, how does one have the motivation and belief that yet another DAC on the market is going to compete and succeed? This is not meant to be sarcastic; I am genuinely curious. I have thought about starting a business on my own all my life but didn't have the risk tolerance to take that step. I can make this a separate thread if there is interest.

Geshelli

Audio Company
Hi Stunta. Great question! You're correct, the market for audio products is huge. We obviously can't compete with the big boys and overseas company and had no expectations of doing so. For us starting a audio division was less complicated. We had nothing to lose. We've been making audio products for ourselves for a few years. When we started growing it was organically by selling local. We have a military base close by and the soldiers want quality but cost was a factor. We could meet that need with our products. We are small enough where we could make a DAC or Amp with their avatar/name on top or change the LEDs out because we make it here. We also do CNC work, pick and place, board design and laser cutting for local companies so we were already set up. We are small and have the time to listen to people's ideas. We do it with our board designs for customers. Since starting the Audio Division, we're developing a good customer base with fellow audiophiles because we like to talk audio and care strongly about what we make.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Stunta. Great question! You're correct, the market for audio products is huge. We obviously can't compete with the big boys and overseas company and had no expectations of doing so. For us starting a audio division was less complicated. We had nothing to lose. We've been making audio products for ourselves for a few years. When we started growing it was organically by selling local. We have a military base close by and the soldiers want quality but cost was a factor. We could meet that need with our products. We are small enough where we could make a DAC or Amp with their avatar/name on top or change the LEDs out because we make it here. We also do CNC work, pick and place, board design and laser cutting for local companies so we were already set up. We are small and have the time to listen to people's ideas. We do it with our board designs for customers. Since starting the Audio Division, we're developing a good customer base with fellow audiophiles because we like to talk audio and care strongly about what we make.

Thank you so much for the answer. This is quite refreshing to read. It is very cool that you are customizing your products for the soldiers - are you planning to offer this to civilians? I hope we can get your products measured by Amir - you can perhaps send him one with a "Measured by ASR" badge on it :cool:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I hope we can get your products measured by Amir - you can perhaps send him one with a "Measured by ASR" badge on it :cool:
I agree with your sentiments. Nice to see vertically integrated companies. I have sent them my shipping address. Hopefully they will remember to send me the units. :)

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Recently came across this DAC maker. Relatively unknown, but their entry-level DAC seems quite cheap. If it's well made it might be interesting over say, the modi.

https://stoneracoustics.com/ud125/ (budget)
https://stoneracoustics.com/udx/ (high-end)

I know they've been around for a while, released a few products before, mostly portable, before releasing a desktop component in the EGD and EGA DAC and amp. I'm really curious about the UDXA when it releases, depending on how much it adds on to the UDX price and if it performs well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It would be interesting to see the JDS Labs EL DAC compared to the OL DAC and the DAC in The Element

Since they sell themselves as a brand that prioritizes objectivity asking them for review units may be worth a shot unless you want to avoid potentially getting cherry picked units

EL DAC (https://www.jdslabs.com/products/174/el-dac/)
The Element (https://www.jdslabs.com/products/151/the-element/)
This is highly requested. Once I get through my backlog if no one offers to loan me one, I will purchase for testing.

Veri

Master Contributor
This is highly requested. Once I get through my backlog if no one offers to loan me one, I will purchase for testing.
I can loan you mine amir, but since it's my main DAC I'd only request a little priority if that is reasonable to you :) I live in Europe so hope you don't mind overseas shipping. Still cheaper than buying one yourself of course. Let me know

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you guys see this yet?? SMSL SU-8 DAC, dual ES9038Q2M chips and XLR outputs, balanced DAC for $199 on Massdrop. I would say that's a bargain, as long as it works, lol.
http://www.massdrop.com/?origin=/buy/smsl-su-8-dac
Pretty tempting. While the discount is not huge and ship date is end of July, the feature set seems excellent for the price.

So which one of you will buy and send it to me for testing???? :D

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Pretty tempting. While the discount is not huge and ship date is end of July, the feature set seems excellent for the price.

So which one of you will buy and send it to me for testing???? :D
Well, I was the first to join the drop, when I get it maybe we can work on sending it out to you a few weeks later to measure? Not sure what the shipping cost would be from the Buffalo area to Seattle, plus I gotta play with it for a little while first, lol.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, I was the first to join the drop, when I get it maybe we can work on sending it out to you a few weeks later to measure? Not sure what the shipping cost would be from the Buffalo area to Seattle, plus I gotta play with it for a little while first, lol.
:)

Shipping with the post office using their fixed rate shipping is pretty cheap. Less than $15. I will pay the return shipping so you are only on the hook for the cost of sending it to me. Send me a private message when you are ready and we can take it from there.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I agree generally there.
But its where brands like Holo and Questyle jumped from.
That said, besides L.K.S., all dual I
ES9038PRO implementations i have come across seem to be priced well over double what SMSL are adking for the D-1.

Top Bottom