• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Battle of S/PDIF vs USB: which is better?

cheapsoundguy

@amirm

Would you be willing to redo this test with the most modern equipment available?

E.g. a XMOS 208 or XMOS 216 USB based USB DAC vs a PCIE card with SPDIF out? (I think Creative still makes such a card).

Edit: It appears the last sound cards with Coax output have been discontinued. So this is basically an academic question at this point...

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Personally I'd love to see an upgraded optical system, I aways loved Toslink for it's total isolation from ground issues, radiated noise and such. A newer system that would handle the highest rates for PCM and DSD is needed now for complete compatibliy with today sources.. My PC > Emotiva DC1 will handle 192 reliably as long as I keep the cable short (no more than about 1 meter).

Trell

Major Contributor
@amirm

Would you be willing to redo this test with the most modern equipment available?

E.g. a XMOS 208 or XMOS 216 USB based USB DAC vs a PCIE card with SPDIF out? (I think Creative still makes such a card).

Edit: It appears the last sound cards with Coax output have been discontinued. So this is basically an academic question at this point...

You can find such PCIE cards in the pro audio segment. RME have such cards, has many features you might not need, and they are expensive.

I don’t think it will change amirm conclusion that much, if at all.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Personally I'd love to see an upgraded optical system, I aways loved Toslink for it's total isolation from ground issues, radiated noise and such.
Are you aware of the Corning Optical cables? Aside from being inconveniently too long.........

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The original idea for USB 3.0 was to make the data carrying portion fiber optic on all the cables. I think a combination of expense, and the fact such cables are not conducive to sharp bending made them drop it as they developed wired methods to get the same and eventually even fast data transfer.

Trell

Major Contributor
The original idea for USB 3.0 was to make the data carrying portion fiber optic on all the cables. I think a combination of expense, and the fact such cables are not conducive to sharp bending made them drop it as they developed wired methods to get the same and eventually even fast data transfer.

And USB 2 works very well for audio and can have longer cables with no issue.

wwenze

Major Contributor
How about USB to SPDIF converter and get the worst of both worlds?

Trell

Major Contributor

That is not a given that it will not work well . In fact this is how I’ve connected my RME UCX II audio interface to me RME ADI-2 DAC when I use it (ADAT instead of TOSLINK). I play audio to the UCX via USB and the DAC does it’s job. When I’m not using the UCX I play directly to the ADI-2.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No reason for this to automatically be so. I've a couple that work just fine. I forget if it is this thread or another where I show the jitter FFT's of Toslink and SPDIF from a USB to digital converter which has both outputs. They give identical results at the analog output of the DAC. Meaning the method of connection has no effect on the result.

Overseas

Major Contributor
In lay terms and considering the topic, what about streaming by phone via USB OTG?
1. Anathema
2. Very good
3. Mehhh, not the best

Top Bottom