• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

best home theater speakers (5.1) under 30k

Dreborn

hi! so i am looking to finally upgrade my sennheiser ambeo max soundbar into a full fledged 5.1 setup and i am completely lost. too many options! and nowhere where i can hear enough speakers side by side with same electronics.

95% of the time we are just going to using the system for movies/streaming/etc. 5% of the time will be 2 channel listening.

this is unfortunately not a dedicated theater room but a large open living room.

the 30k does not include electronics, just speakers. i dont WANT to spend 30k lol if i can avoid it but as i said, i am bit lost since there are so many options and i dont know where it makes sense to spend.

speakers i have heard so far:

Focals (fatigued my ears)
B&W 804 (nice but didn't win me over)
Sonus Faber Olympia Nova V's (these were my favorite but i can't say if they are worth 18k or im paying 10k for the styling/design).

i know the new SVS ultra evolutions just came out -- has anyone heard those? can they compete with some of the more expensive brands? and yes i know more money does not necessarily mean better sound =)

for electronics, i will prolly do the McIntosh MHT300 or the flagship marantz. since i wont be doing much if any 2 channel i dont see the need to go separates but would love to hear advice.

thank you for helping me on the journey!

MKR

Major Contributor
Welcome to ASR! With that budget you can certainly put together a truly stunning system.

I am on a similar (very long) journey :) … maybe below will be helpful for you …

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

In these dyas and age you could go :
passive

let's try :)
We'll go all Revel and you can click on the links for ASR reviews

Speakers
2 Revel F208 for Left and Right Total $5500
1 Revel C208 for Center Total $2000
2 Revel M106 for surround Total $2000
4 x Revel C783 ceiling speakers for Atmos Total $3000
SVS PB 2000 x 4 Total $4200

You would stay under 18K for all of this...
Near endgame performance.. You have money left for serious electronics ...

Peace.

AwesomeSauce2015

Or you could go passive, but JBL, if you want something that isn't just usable for elevator music... (See subjective comments of this review) (Yes, I agree that Revel speakers are good, but personally I like horns and compression drivers).

Now, I do not know the size of your room, so I am limited in what I can recommend, but the general recommendations for the JBL equivalent would be:

JBL HDI-3800 for Left and Right: $2750*2 = $5500
If you have the ability to do it, using the same speaker for your center and surrounds would be ideal, but if not:
JBL HDI-1600 for surround: $990 * 2 = $1980
JBL HDI-4500 for center (unless you can fit an HDI-1600, these kinds of center speakers are compromised due to the 2-way design): $1925
You could use the center recommended by @FrantzM as it is a 3-way design.

For atmos duties, you could go with the JBL equivalent ceiling speakers, but Atmos isn't super demanding so basically anything decent will work.
One option could be the JBL Control 47C, as it has incredibly wide dispersion and good power handling, as well as good efficiency. You just need EQ to turn down >1khz.
If you do that, make sure to set them to 8 ohm impedance, as they are designed with a transformer but it can be bypassed.
Just know that it is big, and heavy. A drywall ceiling can support it, but you may want the "compact" version instead.
(Source: Installed a pair in my parents' bathroom recently. Very clean sound even at 100+ db in a tile-covered bathroom.)

Given that you have a $30k budget, and my parts list is at $10,500, you can probably afford something better than the SVS-2000 series.
One option could be JTR's subwoofers, or you could go DIY. Alternatively, the SVS Ultra series is pretty solid.
I will however second the recommendation for 4 subwoofers. This way you can optimize the bass over the whole listening area.

Now, if active speakers are an option, my recommendation is:
JBL 708P * 5: $1999 * 5 = $10,000.
Atmos: See above in-ceiling speakers, or the JBL 705P.
Subwoofers: See above, SVS Ultra series, JTR 18", or DIY. Either way, you will want 3 or 4...

And yes, I may be a bit of a fanboy... But they're good speakers!

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

In these dyas and age you could go :
passive

let's try :)
We'll go all Revel and you can click on the links for ASR reviews

Speakers
2 Revel F208 for Left and Right Total $5500
1 Revel C208 for Center Total $2000
2 Revel M106 for surround Total $2000
4 x Revel C783 ceiling speakers for Atmos Total $3000
SVS PB 2000 x 4 Total $4200

You would stay under 18K for all of this...
Near endgame performance.. You have money left for serious electronics ...

Peace.
This and they were on sale recently, not sure if still so.

mar1o

For me it is the wrong approach to look at the speakers first. You should first develop a concept for the existing space in order to first optimize the potential of physics.
Because DSP, room correction software and Dirac ART, for example, cannot completely solve all problems of room acoustics. This means that as long as the room concept is not in place, every loudspeaker will perform within its capabilities.
It then depends on what volume level you want to achieve at your seat, how much space you have available, how many seats you want to provide the best possible sound, what the radiation characteristics of the loudspeaker are, which in turn influences the use of the room acoustics and how well EQ can be used.
In summary, the overall concept must click into place like the key lock principle, otherwise each individual component will remain below its capabilities.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
How about Kef R series Metas in R11 mains, R3 back's and R6 centre and with pair of SVS SB-3000 sub's. Just a higher end Denon with real two sub (as two separate chenels) output and full Dirac license (multi sub full range). AVR's aren't that much time resilient (as things progress fast there) and you can get a Denon for a much better price than equivalent Marantz model and it's really a same thing from inside.

AwesomeSauce2015

How about Kef R series Metas in R11 mains, R3 back's and R6 centre and with pair of SVS SB-3000 sub's. Just a higher end Denon with real two sub (as two separate chenels) output and full Dirac license (multi sub full range). AVR's aren't that much time resilient (as things progress fast there) and you can get a Denon for a much better price than equivalent Marantz model and it's really a same thing from inside.
I would second the Denon recommendation. They make good stuff, but as a disclaimer I haven't messed with any of the modern Dirac stuff.
However, I would caution against KEF, depending on OP's room size.
My main issue with KEF for home theater use is just that they seem to lack dynamic capability, in my listening. I personally prefer horns and compression driver tweeters, which are better at handling dynamic SPL requirements. Not to say they sound bad, just that they tend to run out of steam too early for my tastes (even the R11).

But, if OP has a smaller room, and never listens loud at all, then KEF does make some very good speakers. They just don't make "loud" speakers, at least in my opinion.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is furniture type finishing important to you like the examples you posted? Personally not so important and rather have better performance than aesthetic furniture aspects.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would definitely get a receiver with Dirac ART in it - this is going to be game-changing levels of improvement/correction to the in-room sound. Whatever bite it takes out of the speaker budget - probably worth it. Also as @mar1o said, you should take a beat to consider whether you can / should do any room treatment. The room is often the limiting factor for sound.

Beyond that you could snag 5x KEF LS60 well within your budget, (wait for a sale) plus a sub or three, and be sitting comfortably on a pretty high tier of sound.

Other recommendations in this thread are also great and I would personally be happy to have a home theater with any of them.

All THAT said, your budget could also accommodate a pretty serious Atmos setup if you're willing to run cables all over (or through) the ceiling and whatnot. Not sure if that is on the table for you.

This thread will definitely generate more options than you can shake a stick at, but I think you will be very happy with the sound when all is said and done. $30K or even $20 or $10K, wisely spent, goes a long way these days.

Ciobi69

I would definitely get a receiver with Dirac ART in it - this is going to be game-changing levels of improvement/correction to the in-room sound. Whatever bite it takes out of the speaker budget - probably worth it. Also as @mar1o said, you should take a beat to consider whether you can / should do any room treatment. The room is often the limiting factor for sound.

Beyond that you could snag 5x KEF LS60 well within your budget, (wait for a sale) plus a sub or three, and be sitting comfortably on a pretty high tier of sound.

Other recommendations in this thread are also great and I would personally be happy to have a home theater with any of them.

All THAT said, your budget could also accommodate a pretty serious Atmos setup if you're willing to run cables all over (or through) the ceiling and whatnot. Not sure if that is on the table for you.

This thread will definitely generate more options than you can shake a stick at, but I think you will be very happy with the sound when all is said and done. $30K or even $20 or $10K, wisely spent, goes a long way these days.
the ls60 are very limited in the output. its a no for me

quattro98

Forum Donor
Given discounts and a large $30k budget, you have plenty of options for 5.1. These are retail prices. I chose KEF since that’s what we went with. I like passive speakers for simplicity in a multichannel setup. Other good options would be Perlisten, Revel, or Ascend. Within the KEF line, going with R series will save a lot compared to the Reference.

Front: KEF Reference 3 Meta: $15k
Center: KEF Reference 2 Meta: $6k
Surround: KEF R3 Meta: $2200 + stands (there are also in-wall options if desired for surround)
Subs: Rythmik G22: $1550 each, two highly recommended for smoother in-room response, can easily get smaller/cheaper options from Rythmik

If you're doing an install, adding Atmos speakers is nice.

For electronics, I'd get a Denon A1H. It will drive all of the speakers fine, especially in a bass-managed setup. It has more channels than needed, so can easily go with something else. Dirac ART, when available, will help smooth bass response.

Last edited:

Ciobi69

Given discounts and a large $30k budget, you have plenty of options for 5.1. These are retail prices. I chose KEF since that’s what we went with. I like passive speakers for simplicity in a multichannel setup. Other good options would be Perlisten, Revel, or Ascend. Within the KEF line, going with R series will save a lot compared to the Reference.

Front: KEF Reference 3 Meta: $15k
Center: KEF Reference 2 Meta: $6k
Surround: KEF R3 Meta: $2200 + stands (there are also in-wall options if desired for surround)
Subs: Rythmik G22: $1550 each, two highly recommended for smoother in-room response, can easily get smaller/cheaper options from Rythmik

If you're doing an install, adding Atmos speakers is nice.

For electronics, I'd get a Denon A1H. It will drive all of the speakers fine, especially in a bass-managed setup. It has more channels than needed, so can easily go with something else. Dirac ART, when available, will help smooth bass response.
I have a lot of watts on my blade the avr wont be enough dream it

ExPerfectionist

lets talk about the room first, you should share more info, thanks

Yes exactly.

How big is the room and listening space? Is it a dedicated room for TV/music, closed walls on all sides? Or an open area and/or multi-function area in the house? How far back do you sit from the TV? Can you re-arrange your room at all to optimize for acoustics?

Regular 5.1 is kind of outdated, especially if you have the $ means to do 7.1 or 9.1 with height channels (and maybe multiple subs). Do some research on what that would entail, and how you might be able to set that up in your room.

And how "loud" do you/OP want to listen? How much bass do you want to feel/hear? Are aesthetics important, and is keeping things close to the wall or hidden/unseen important, do you have children/pets that may bump into things?

$30K (assuming you're in the US) is probably extreme overkill, especially for a 95% movie/TV content system.
You could get killer speakers for 7 channels plus 1-2 subs for under $10K.
Start with the max budget $ amount you actually want to spend, and see what you can afford from there. Otherwise you're just going to get a bunch of random recommendations that may or may not work for you and could be way overkill for your needs.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would spend my budget improving the room if that is an option. And of course buy fun stuff to make it sound great.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the price, performance and styling I would also recommend the Kef R line but it also greatly depends on your room and living situation what setup would be optimal.

If you want good performance and minimal visual intrusion you could for example build a baffle wall that has subs, L/C/R and absorption in it while surround speakers are hidden in side wall absorber elements. A ceiling cloud could host atmos speakers, absorption and lighting.
Even with professional help, this can easily be done below 30K.

If that's too much work just get any good 5.1 speaker setup with an Dirac ART capable AVR. And definitely treat your room

Top Bottom