• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm - much better with Dekoni choice leather pads

drewdawg999

The DT770s are the new object of my affection, and at quite the affordable price used. Scored them off reddit, 75 bucks shipped, 80 ohm version but stock cable replaced with coiley cable that's normally on the 250 ohm version. Immediately loved the bass, but I did find the treble a bit piercing, though I read that it's not that bad on the 80 ohm version. The mids were shrill as well. I tried EQ per oratory but found quite a bit of distortion at somewhat loud volumes. Anyone else find Beyers don't respond well to EQ?

So, enter the Dekoni pads. Z reviews has a YT vid that's a definitive guide to pad rolling for Beyers. He gushed about the choice leathers, which is a synthetic leather that's oh so soft and comfy, and supposed to enhance soundstage as well. So I got them, 40 bucks. So far I'm loving the combo, really nice feel with better seal and isolation due to the slow rebound memory foam. The highs and mids have been tamed, bass slightly boosted, resulting in a much more balanced sound and more to my liking. Dekoni has measurements that look like this:
DT1990-ChLr-1024x555.png

Soundstage is nice, but then again it is a closed headphone so there's limits there. But sub-bass and mid-bass are intoxicating, and I find myself turning basshead as I've been listening to much EDM and reggae lately, and they're quite winning on these cans. I also am fond of the bass sound on Heart's Dog and Butterfly album, and the hit Straight On sounds divine. Spent a total of under $120 for a set that competes with my much costlier planars for my attention. But they are sneaky hard to drive, have to pump up the THX 789, sometimes venturing into high gain. Distortion is better without EQ but they still distort at high volumes, so I have to watch that. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with them, happy to finally have a Beyer in my collection.
20240412_143148.jpg

Top Bottom