• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Books on recording studio history

EERecordist

Music has been a thriving business before and after mercantilism. So there has been a thriving business recording after that was developed. ASR readers may find these interesting.

The Great British Recording Studios - Howard Massey 2015

Temples of Sound: Inside the Great Recording Studios - Jim Cogan and William Clark 2003

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 10.59.53 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 10.59.31 AM.png

Massey authored Behind The Glass Volumes I and II, collections of interviews with engineers and producers. There is an AES interview archive series too https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL36780BE36BE2EF3F

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I have Geoff Eremick's Book. He was the assistant engineer and then mixing engineer for most of The Beatles recordings. Not a whole lot of technical information but I found it interesting. I think he was 16 years old when they hired him as assistant engineer and one of his 1st assignments (maybe his 1st) was to observe and learn from the current assistant for The Beatles 1st EMI (Abbey Road) recording. ...They fired the guy who trained him a short time later. The assistant's main job was to run the tape machine. The next job "up the ladder" was mastering engineer, and then mixing engineer which they called "balance engineer"). I'm sure he enjoyed learning how to master but he wanted to get back to the action!

I wonder if he kept a diary because he sure remembers lots of details about his work life!

Top Bottom