• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bricks List: 36V & 48V Power Supplies (for Fosi, Aiyima etc.)

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This thread makes me very glad I power my chip amps with industrial SMPS units rather than what amount to supersized "wall warts" -- I'm just sayin'.... :cool:

quocheiser

--
- Cheers!
So the first point regarding the Fosi Huntkey 48V 10A power brick is at least addressed by Fosi now. It was a short video but definitely helps.
Seems to be that the 'test' was rather rudimentary and says nothing of the brick's continuous (like more than 5 seconds) current output.
However, I'm not an EE. I've got no idea how dependable that testing method used by Fosi for their power supply is though. Anyone have any input there?

- Still hoping some testing results of the Aiyima GaN 10A will be shared here at some point.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
This thread makes me very glad I power my chip amps with industrial SMPS units rather than what amount to supersized "wall warts" -- I'm just sayin'.... :cool:

yeah i but i remember i asked about using lab psus... like it doesnt matter if they are a bit ugly and fiddly.... you can get good ones for $100 usd

but few people seem to want a lab psu in their setup

BUT... i mean for 99% of us the 48v 5a is just fine???

eg.

under $25 and brand name

Roland68

Major Contributor
- Cheers!
So the first point regarding the Fosi Huntkey 48V 10A power brick is at least addressed by Fosi now. It was a short video but definitely helps.
Seems to be that the 'test' was rather rudimentary and says nothing of the brick's continuous (like more than 5 seconds) current output.
However, I'm not an EE. I've got no idea how dependable that testing method used by Fosi for their power supply is though. Anyone have any input there?

- Still hoping some testing results of the Aiyima GaN 10A will be shared here at some point.
In order to test such switching power supplies for their performance and reliability, the appropriate equipment and experience is also needed.
Ask for the CE declaration of conformity for the EU; the person responsible (company or person) within the EU is listed there. Internal test protocols should be available there.

yeah i but i remember i asked about using lab psus... like it doesnt matter if they are a bit ugly and fiddly.... you can get good ones for $100 usd

but few people seem to want a lab psu in their setup

BUT... i mean for 99% of us the 48v 5a is just fine???

eg.

under $25 and brand name
You can't get good laboratory power supplies for $100, especially not with an output of 300 to 500 watts.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
You can't get good laboratory power supplies for $100, especially not with an output of 300 to 500 watts.
True, but you can sure AF get industrial SMPS units for far fewer $$ per amp than a nominally equivalent "power brick": About $50 for a 48V 10A unit on eBay and even less via AliExpress. Of course a little DIY is required, so don't pursue this alternative unless you understand how to deal with the safety concerns involved -- Amir has admonished me on that point and he was correct to do so.

Roland68

Major Contributor
True, but you can sure AF get industrial SMPS units for far fewer $$ per amp than a nominally equivalent "power brick": About $50 for a 48V 10A unit on eBay and even less via AliExpress. Of course a little DIY is required, so don't pursue this alternative unless you understand how to deal with the safety concerns involved -- Amir has admonished me on that point and he was correct to do so.
Have you ever received or requested documents about these cheap power supplies on Ebay, Aliexpress, etc.?
For example, the CE declaration of conformity? Detailed data sheets? Manuals? Laboratory and test reports?
Because many cannot deliver any of this. And I would advise against these SMPS to anyone who is not 100% familiar with them. This also applies to SMPS wall warts.

I use industrial SMPS almost exclusively, but I also deal with and have access to it in my job.
With reputable manufacturers with closed housings, such as Meanwell LRP, HRP, etc., I don't see any problems with this, as long as someone is familiar enough with it to be able to connect a socket and an electric stove. Otherwise, leave it alone.
On the other hand, over the last 20 years, many or even tens of millions of DIY 3D printers have been delivered with exactly these power supplies and connectors. The same applies to DIY milling, cutters, lasers, etc., so not unusual in the hobby sector, but standard.
However, it makes sense to cover the connections, either with a housing or a touch protection with a cold device connection including a switch and fuse.

With the reputable industrial manufacturers of SMPS (TDK, Mean Well, Bel Power, XP Power, EOS Power, etc.) you can be sure that the manufacturers have more than adequately tested these power supplies.
If an industrial SMPS or wall wart SMPS doesn't even have a verifiable manufacturer on it, that says it all, even if these parts work and often last a long time.
But that is just my personal opinion.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Question: Do any of the industrial SMPS makers offer encased & fully wired products? I'm happy for now using the Fosi and Aiyima bricks as is, don't really want to build a case for a Meanwell (did enough of that with my cigar-box TPA3116 builds)...

MCH

Major Contributor
Question: Do any of the industrial SMPS makers offer encased & fully wired products? I'm happy for now using the Fosi and Aiyima bricks as is, don't really want to build a case for a Meanwell (did enough of that with my cigar-box TPA3116 builds)...
Yes, like the regular power bricks, but aren't as cheap. Search for instance Meanwell GST360 series.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The 3D printing world has reports of the cheap industrial PSUs not being able to make rated output, and failure modes involving flames. I'd say it's worth spending a bit more on a reputable brand with proper certification.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
The 3D printing world has reports of the cheap industrial PSUs not being able to make rated output, and failure modes involving flames. I'd say it's worth spending a bit more on a reputable brand with proper certification.
These reports are sort of like restaurant reviews on Yelp or some such in that the satisfied users rarely have anything to say and complaints from disappointed users overwhelmingly dominate. Chip amps don't demand anything near the rated current of the PSU for anywhere near as long as a 3-D printer or a big LED array. Such failures are usually heat-related and the one SMPS I own with thermostatically-controlled cooling has never even turned on its fan. Based on that experience, I completely removed the always-on fan from the other SMPS in my system and have had no problems whatsoever ever since.

Please regard the above as testimony and not advice. There's nothing wrong with playing it safe by "spending a bit more on a reputable brand with proper certification" and I'm not disputing that, just relating some actual -- and IMO directly relevant -- experience. BTW, "proper certification" of an industrial subassembly is not the same as for a consumer product like a power brick and assumes that the component will be used internally or otherwise positioned where any naked electrical connections are inaccessible to the end user, so standalone use of such products requires some rudimentary safety savvy.

Roland68

Major Contributor
BTW, "proper certification" of an industrial subassembly is not the same as for a consumer product like a power brick and assumes that the component will be used internally or otherwise positioned where any naked electrical connections are inaccessible to the end user, so standalone use of such products requires some rudimentary safety savvy.
And that's exactly where you are completely wrong.
If you place such power supplies on the market in the EU, then the CE declaration of conformity is essential.

It's different when a manufacturer buys power supplies for its own device and then assumes liability for it. But once these PSUs are publicly available, it will be required. Even as a spare part, these power supplies cannot be sold publicly, but can only be replaced in the device by support.

Of course, you can order and use such power supplies on Aliexpress. But if something happens (fire, personal injury, etc.) you are of course liable and no insurance company will cover it.
Anyone who uses such power supplies should be aware of this.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Of course, you can order and use such power supplies on Aliexpress. But if something happens (fire, personal injury, etc.) you are of course liable and no insurance company will cover it.
Anyone who uses such power supplies should be aware of this.
At least in the U.S. context, this is more myth than fact -- maybe it's true elsewhere, but hereabouts most abodes have dozens of uncertified items from extension cords to nightlights connected up to AC mains without any insurance consequences in the event of a mishap.

There are a multitude of duly certified industrial power supplies, including name brand stuff, that have naked terminals carrying mains voltage, something that would disqualify them from certification as a standalone consumer product -- IMO that clearly implies different certification criteria for industrial subassemblies vs. consumer products.

Top Bottom