• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I connect Genelec speakers digitally in this way?

Berlin

I am wondering if this set-up will work:

Raspberry Pi -> USB -> Topping D10s -> AES/EBU SPDIF cable -> Genelec 83XX

A HAT with AES/EBU outputs might be cheaper than the Topping D10s but I currently don't need it. I am also looking for a nice switch box to additionally connect my TV via optical SPDIF. Suggestions are very welcome...

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may want to read Rane's application notes on interfacing AES/EBU (AES3) to SPDIF (see section "AES3id or S/PDIF to AES3").

Neutrik makes AES/EBU to coax impedance matching transformer. It is quite possible that it will work without the impedance matching transformer.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am wondering if this set-up will work:

Raspberry Pi -> USB -> Topping D10s -> AES/EBU SPDIF cable -> Genelec 83XX

A HAT with AES/EBU outputs might be cheaper than the Topping D10s but I currently don't need it. I am also looking for a nice switch box to additionally connect my TV via optical SPDIF. Suggestions are very welcome...
Topping D10 SPDIF out into my Genelec’s AES/EBU input works perfectly fine with any standard RCA to XLR cable I’ve tried (all around 10 - 20 feet I think). I also have the impedance transformer, but it sits unused as it doesn’t seem necessary.

Last edited:
OP
Berlin

Berlin

Topping D10 SPDIF out into my Genelec’s AES/EBU input works perfectly fine with any standard RCA to XLR cable I’ve tried (all around 10 - 20 feet I think). I also have the impedance transformer, but it sits unused as it doesn’t seem necessary.
This is good to know. It seems that this AES/EBU SPDIF cable has the transformer built-in already...

Arpeggiator

This is good to know. It seems that this AES/EBU SPDIF cable has the transformer built-in already...
What makes you think so? Nothing written like that in the product description. One review (10 m version) mentions talking to Thomann support and writes "The cable is simply an extension with chinch on one side and XLR on the other.".

Would be nice but I don't think so.

Top Bottom