• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Care of Dutch & Dutch 8C cabinets

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having used the Dutch & Dutch 8Cs for a few months now, I love how they sound. I'm concerned, however, about the solid oak cabinets, which look nice but are probably sensitive to heat, cold, moisture, excessive dryness, and direct sunlight.

Do any of our members know how to care for solid oak speaker cabinets (or furniture)? Perhaps @Purité Audio and @Strictly Stereo have some relevant experience. I would be most grateful for any insights.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Dutch & Dutch people seem very thorough in their engineering, so I would expect the wood used to be well dried before it was cut into speakers. The choice of solid oak as opposed to Baltic Birch ply is interesting. Most better monitors are made from Baltic Birch. Home speakers are usually MDF. Sometimes countertop stone or composites are used in really expensive home speakers, such as Wilson or Eggelston.

As for finish care, it depends on the surface treatment they use. Recently we had two furniture pieces made for us. Our media cabinet is birch ply with walnut veneer. The maker said to use a beeswax-based product. We also had a wall unit made with an oak plank bench. The maker said to just use regular cleaners due to the polyurethane finish.

Top Bottom