• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choice between LG 65" C2 vs LG 77" B2

JRS

Major Contributor
So I need some help in making a decision about which display to buy. As it turns out I can either get the early 2022 LG B2 in 77" or the later 2022 C2 in 65" for the same price--around 1650 USD. No replacement for displacement as they say, but in this case it will land in a medium sized living room of about 18' x 12'. So it will be imposing piece of furniture that will go on a glass audio/video rack.

Some but not a lot of sunlight, and I watch mostly at night and almost exclusively to streamed sources such as Netflix, Prime, etc. No gaming, tho one never knows now that I'm retired. Occasional Blue Rays but apart from network sports (the B2 does not have the 3.0 Nextgen tuner), its exclusively movies, series, docs, and YouTube music.

And there is one other choice that keeps saying buy me and that is the midrange Sony Bravia 65 OLED. There the attraction is much better audio--good enough that I'm sure with some EQ it would provide perfect center fill for my 2.0 system--has a sub of sorts and uses the screen itself as a vibrating panel that's split into 3 major sections and will even localize sound to the speaker or object, all of which sounds really cool to me (along with limited ATMOS processing), and it would make a soundbar unnecessary. I don't really do action films with lots of bass slam--this is an apt or I'd haul my AE 15H subs out to play.

Thoughts? It's a wonderful time to be buying a display, and in the past I have always bought either 55 or 65 Panny plasmas before making the switch to LG OLED. The last 65 I bought was in 2019 and that was gob smacking good for the around 1800 price. Sold it thinking I was going abroad, but plans have changed.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here's B2 vs C2 comparison:

You won't notice a difference between the 2, IMO.
So I would get the larger size one.

If you were thinking of G2 vs C2 for example, then yes, I would recommend G2 since it has a heatsink (that C2 doesnt have) and therefore can play content with higher brightness, leading to an overall noticeable improvement. But in your case, G2 would be outside of your budget.

Which Sony OLED were you thinking?

RF Air

Forum Donor
I owned previously Panny 55" Plasma and moved to a LG OLED 65" C1, very pleased with the results.

Moonhead

Just destroyed a panny and as they can’t keep up in the tele business I might go for Sony A80J. I don’t want qled Samsung and Lg gets conflicting reviews, they seem nice but I’m not sure I dare buy one.

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
Here's B2 vs C2 comparison:

You won't notice a difference between the 2, IMO.
So I would get the larger size one.

If you were thinking of G2 vs C2 for example, then yes, I would recommend G2 since it has a heatsink (that C2 doesnt have) and therefore can play content with higher brightness, leading to an overall noticeable improvement. But in your case, G2 would be outside of your budget.

Which Sony OLED were you thinking?
The Bravia 65 A80L

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
The previous models (A80J or A80K) are on par with Lg’s B or C series. So I would expect this years model (A80L) to be on par with current years LG models as well.

But Sony’s marketing team is telling us that A80L will be 110% brighter than A80K.
This is an interesting claim and one that must be verified with 3rd party measurements (waiting on rtings.com, personally).

A80L will not be able to compete with LG G-series or Sony/Samsung QD-OLEDs in terms of brightness, but if the 110% brightness claim is true, then A80L model might beat LG B/C series…just slightly.

For now, I’ll say A80L is on par with Lg B/C series.
But once measurements get released, we can say for certain.

napfkuchen

Some but not a lot of sunlight, and I watch mostly at night and almost exclusively to streamed sources such as Netflix, Prime, etc. No gaming, ...
Same circumstances for me. You won't need the extra brightness of the newest models. Got a 65" OLED for 1.400 EUR because the 77" was more than twice as expensive ... In your case I would go for the 77" which offers 40 percent more screen.

Reactions: JRS
OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
Sounds nearly unanimous.
The previous models (A80J or A80K) are on par with Lg’s B or C series. So I would expect this years model (A80L) to be on par with current years LG models as well.

But Sony’s marketing team is telling us that A80L will be 110% brighter than A80K.
This is an interesting claim and one that must be verified with 3rd party measurements (waiting on rtings.com, personally).

A80L will not be able to compete with LG G-series or Sony/Samsung QD-OLEDs in terms of brightness, but if the 110% brightness claim is true, then A80L model might beat LG B/C series…just slightly.

For now, I’ll say A80L is on par with Lg B/C series.
But once measurements get released, we can say for certain.
I saw some specs---it's been reviewed a couple of places, and was pummeled over at AVS because of one review that concluded for being a whole lot more expensive than the k, its not appreciably better, which is actually the one I am looking at the K.

So the a80l seems to be a non starter given a 2500 asking price in 65. . I'm not sure that the L is even using the LG evo screen at this point. Anyway BB is getting the L series next week, so I'm rather hoping that the K price will get shaved again--they just took 200 off which was likely in anticipation of the L's being on display so not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
How big is the room? IF the 77 will look a tad ridiculous I could see getting the smaller size, but I would get the 77. Just a Sony, I don't see LG as a premium brand sorry, and that other guy above said he's had them fail early.

There's also Mini-LED, which would be an improvement from the local dimming displays I'd be coming from.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last year we decided to upgrade our TV (was a 55" LG OLED) so we could put a TV in the guest room. I was convinced we wanted a 77" OLED. I even bought one - Costco had 2021 Sony OLED for like $1800 on clearance. But then I tried to put it in my car (a fairly large one - Tesla Model Y) and felt somewhat ridiculous about how large it was. We ended up with an LG 65" OLED and it seems just right for the room, which has a 15' wide front wall is ~20' deep with a ~12' listening distance. Any bigger would dominate and just be really ugly.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is still only LG replacing OLEDs with new ones when burn-in occurs?

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
Not certain--I know for dropped rows of pixels, many makers do. Burn-in might be a tough sell but one worth exploring. Thankfully all new OLEDS are pretty much immune to the issue.

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
How big is the room? IF the 77 will look a tad ridiculous I could see getting the smaller size, but I would get the 77. Just a Sony, I don't see LG as a premium brand sorry, and that other guy above said he's had them fail early.

There's also Mini-LED, which would be an improvement from the local dimming displays I'd be coming from.
Interesting you should mention that. My quest took an unexpected turn last night, just when I had decided to go with the 77 B2 Oled from LG, I stumbled across a CES report that said the 98" TCL QM 8 with over 2000 dimming zones just stole the show. Early on I had considered them but decided that the picture would be a disappointment given how grown I've become to OLEDS. But the new QM8 tech is an absolute game changer. Not up to the Samsung hybrid OLED/Quantum dot hybrids, but nearly every bit as good as the 95 series for a whole lot less $$. So I will be taking delivery Saturday on the 77" TCL. I still have qualms about the 77 being too big for the room, but once I see the box in the apt I'll know and exchange it for a 65 if it looks ridiculous. BYW the 77 QM8 is a steal at the current 1800 price. Some who have owned both say it's about 90% as good as the top of the line LG G2 and while not quite achieving the absolute blacks the Oleds are aclaimed for, gets damn close without a lot of dynamic crush and the brights are just dazzling.

I'll let everyone know how it looks once I get it dialed in (it is definitely a TV that requires some tweaking vs perfect film ready out of the box. I'm hoping there is enough QC I can just grab some numbers over at AVS and be done with it.

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
An underdog appears…:eek:

Rtings purchased the TCL QM8 on May 23, so we can expect a review within a few weeks.
Speaking of underdogs, when I was in grad school and nearly penniless my significant other and I decided we needed an inexpensive TV. Stereo of course I had covered in spades and not a week went by without a trip to the neighborhood record store called Smoky's. This would have been early eighties. So we go down to Circuit City or some other big box and find this a really cheesy looking 15 inch B/W for 49.95 Neither of us had never heard of the brand name before and the salesperson wasn't any more knowledgeable--just that it was a new Korean product and the price was right. The thing was a POS but we could get Mash reruns and what not. The TV worked for at least a decade, and I'm not sure what became of it after that.

Yep, that was the original foray into the US by Samsung.

When I had some money in my jeans I sprung some serious cash to get an NEC 25" which had a mind blowing 400 lines of resolution that could do justice to the SOTA: capacitative laser discs. People have no effing idea of what they take for granted. Lordy, now 400 will get you a 75" that would have seemed like black magic back in the 80's.

And now the fat cats established brands are Samsung, LG, the venerable Phillips line, Sony and so forth with the hungry Chinese companies such as TCL and Hisense poised to become the new masters of the universe.

Last edited:
OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
Which while sounding absurd is some type of milestone for gigantic displays--typically twice that and in the case of a Sony system ten times that. o_O

Top Bottom