• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Different SQ with Bubble UPnP and mconnect UPnP controllers?

kaiserkeks

Hello,

My understanding is that when music is cast to a UPnP renderer (Volumio in my case) from a source (Tidal in my case) the data goes straight to the renderer.

However, I (and my wife too) definitely hear a qualitative difference between Bubble UPnP and mconnect as a controller.

Is my understanding wrong or did I not consider something (wrong settings)?

PS: Of course, I only compared non-MQA songs because Bubble UPNP cannot play high-res MQA in full resolution.

Many thanks for your help

Chazz6

This post on another forum is suggestive. Specifically, can you make the source a .flac file you have, avoiding interaction with Tidal? And double check the sound levels are equal and absence of transcoding.
You have to remember that when streaming Qobuz and Tidal, the app is not merely a control point. It is actually creating a streaming server, to do a job like the minimserver does. And so it acts as server and control point at the same time.
So, SQ differences are theoretically possible, be due to the server implementation, or due to hardware differences. Although they should be very nuanced, because the server should be delivering bit perfect to the renderer.
In comparing both, one should not only level match (as you said), but make sure that neither bubble or mco next is doing any kind of transcoding, and maintaining but perfect (bubble is capable of transcoding the stream).

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hello,

My understanding is that when music is cast to a UPnP renderer (Volumio in my case) from a source (Tidal in my case) the data goes straight to the renderer.

However, I (and my wife too) definitely hear a qualitative difference between Bubble UPnP and mconnect as a controller.

Is my understanding wrong or did I not consider something (wrong settings)?

PS: Of course, I only compared non-MQA songs because Bubble UPNP cannot play high-res MQA in full resolution.

Many thanks for your help
The difference you perceive is due to unmatched levels (loudness). You need a voltmeter and match the voltage at your speakers inputs when playing a test signal eg pink noise.

Wendigo79

Are you sure that Bubbleuo or mconnect are not doing transcoding? Or if you use dlna server it might be doing?

Top Bottom