• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you have Spotify lossless in your country?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Do you have Spotify lossless in your country?

Spotify announced that they will offer lossless this year:

"Beginning later this year, Premium subscribers in select markets will be able to upgrade their sound quality to Spotify HiFi and listen to their favorite songs the way artists intended."
https://newsroom.spotify.com/2021-02-22/five-things-to-know-about-spotify-hifi/

Do you have the opportunity to listen to Spotify lossless , in your country?
Anyone know the status of the rollout? Any more information about eventual price increases?

In any case, I can not find any current information online. It is very possible that I missed something.

Red@

Hopefully this september ?
But the question remains, are we gonna be able to use our existing hardware/software to make use it : I mean by that spotify connect open-source alternatives.
Wireless music transmission, using Spotify connect alternative, on a RPI4 with system-wide eq. Is what makes me not enjoy apple music.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hopefully this september ?
But the question remains, are we gonna be able to use our existing hardware/software to make use it : I mean by that spotify connect open-source alternatives.
Wireless music transmission, using Spotify connect alternative, on a RPI4 with system-wide eq. Is what makes me not enjoy apple music.

Well, how many subscribers does Spotify have? Of these, and possibly potentially new, how many are interested in an integration of, for example, ROON and Spotify?

From a purely business point of view, what does Soptify have to gain from fixing such an integration?

My guess, note guess, is that Spotify does not care about this type of development of integration capabilities. Too much work, too little money. They leave that to Qobuz.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
The Phrase "Beginning later this year, Premium subscribers in select markets will be able to upgrade their sound quality to Spotify HiFi and listen to their favorite songs the way artists intended"..... isn't what Tidal/MQA used in their announcement.
Can we be sure we are not pushed MQA trough our troath (ears) stripped with the mqa marker? I'm not a spotify subscriber so i really don't care.... it's just that sentence mentioned above that gave me a Déja Vu :oops:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You didn’t miss anything there hasn’t been updates since.

People have been finding snippets of code / images in the Spotify apps relating to Spotify "Hifi" apparently, so it looks like they are getting ready to push some buttons. Given their big rivals in Apple and Amazon have already played their lossless/ hi res cards a few months ago I am not sure what Spotify are delaying over. Probably some combination of technical implementation, rights management and good old market uncertainty about pricing.

If they try and charge a premium for it after some recent hikes on their existing offer I think that would be a misstep definitely out of sync with the competition. I cant see $15 a month rather than $10 getting too many takers and any less of a margin just feels like nickel and diming.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
IF this is true and if it works, without strange restrictions, Spotify will probably really have to think. Functionality and pricing should then be really attractive. If so, why Spotify if you can get the entire Apple directory at a loss for $ 10 a month?

"Apple Music's space sound and lossless streaming are now available on Android."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/23/22590148/apple-music-spatial-audio-dolby-atmos-lossless-android

Edit, Of course there was something, missed it:

"But if your phone does not support Atmosphere, spatial sound will not work"

Anyway, Apple Music in another thread. For those who are interested :)

Last edited:

Red@

Still, apple music is a closed ecosystem. While spotify (through spotify connect for exemple) is more open.
I think the decision will be played upon that.
If you are already in the apple ecosystem for your music gear/source, than yes apple music is a no brainer.
If not like me. You'll cross your fingers and hope for spotify to be price competitive

Last edited:

RDoc

Isn't there a problem with Apple lossless that there's not much of a path to get it into our preamps? I did some looking and couldn't find a device that would stream anything beyond 48 kHz 24 bit.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Isn't there a problem with Apple lossless that there's not much of a path to get it into our preamps? I did some looking and couldn't find a device that would stream anything beyond 48 kHz 24 bit.
It’s possible to get lossless over Airplay, but high res requires a cable.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
It's not gonna release this year & anytime soon. I accepted the fact.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
On that article I found this comment. I can't tell if this a troll or not. For reference pandora's free tier is 64kbps AAC.
Bruh.jpg

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
It is 2022 and Spotify Lossless has not been released yet. And I just found this bad news: Spotify delays its long-awaited feature for premium users indefinitely
Maybe I should turn to Tidal to get the HIFI streaming songs cuz I was just gifted a Tidal music converter called Tidizer: AudKit Tidizer Music Converter
I don't think it is the best choice. But just give it a try. :confused:
That's mostly scam software. I seen too many of these all over the internet demanding money. Instead of getting the music directly from Tidal, they get the music from YouTube. That's why there called "Converters" and not simply "Downloaders". On top of that even if it could pull files directly, there is free tools (That also require an Tidal account) and do it faster.

Last edited:

Kegemusha

No and no info on when, I think announcing that we will see spotifyFI at end of 2021 and then instead, total silent, is not serious for such a big company.
But the bosses att that company earns a ton of money, so I guess they dont bother about this. I think the aggressive price from apple make them cold feet.

I am starting to think the apple music could be a good alternative, through the sonos app.

Top Bottom