• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dolby Atmos with stereo speakers

OP
pirad

pirad

SG’s is just another opinion, devoid of checkable facts, like most of the talk here. At least he signs it with his real name, not like most of us.
Rather than using arguments ad hominem , some good statistics would come in handy.
How many households with multichannel systems?
What is the market trend?
How many tracks in multichannel out of the ?? millions available commercially?
How many of those are remasters from old tapes? How many are new?
What’s the market trend here?
How many/ what MCh titles in areas of classics and jazz?
That’s just for a starter. Perhaps somebody can help direct to those statistics, I
could not find any. Until then it’s all loose talk, worth as much as the electronic paper it is written on.

Last edited:

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Good questions, but, again, is popularity or market data more important than sound quality? Is it relevant to sound quality that Bose speakers, for example, have been mega marketing successes for many decades?

I do not know of any available market data to answer your questions in detail. However, you might get some useful information as to Mch music releases, though no sales data, by using search queries at this site:

https://www.hraudio.net/

It lists virtually all hirez music disc releases over the past nearly 2 decades, including virtually all Mch. The overwhelmingly predominate disc formats for Mch music are SACD and BD-A, with downloads now also starting to appear. Searches by Mch, genre, etc. are quite easy in order to get total counts, if you wish.

As you will quickly find to be clear, I know I have, total Mch output is a tiny niche relative to CDs and most Mch is in the classical genre. Suffice it to say that I have thousands of classical Mch albums in the library on my NAS accumulated over the past 10 years. I have not yet heard them all. I have bought no CDs at all over that period. I have no sleepless nights, indeed I am quite happy patronizing this tiny and very satisfying niche of Mch music recordings, unpopular in sales volume though it may be.

OP
pirad

pirad

The hraudio.net shows the total of 7690 multichannel albums .

Last edited:

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
As I predicted, you have found Mch is a niche. As I also said earlier, market popularity says nothing about sound quality.

Top Bottom