• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Easy to install DAC.

chickenshack

I have a Naim system and want to stream Spotify into my pre-amp from my Macbook Air, but I don't fancy the idea of shelling out 6k for an NDX2. I am researching a suitable DAC to connect my computer via a USB cable. It would be great if it sounded as good as an NDX2, but that may be wishful thinking. The Mojo 2 seems to be well-regarded. I would like to know your thoughts, but please bear in mind, that I am not technically knowledgeable when it comes to setting up Hi-Fi gear.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Naim system and want to stream Spotify into my pre-amp from my Macbook Air, but I don't fancy the idea of shelling out 6k for an NDX2. I am researching a suitable DAC to connect my computer via a USB cable. It would be great if it sounded as good as an NDX2, but that may be wishful thinking. The Mojo 2 seems to be well-regarded. I would like to know your thoughts, but please bear in mind, that I am not technically knowledgeable when it comes to setting up Hi-Fi gear.
The good news is you can get a fully transparent DAC for A few hundred bucks. Such as this one for $128:

Note the graph in the review. Anything in the "excellent range" (and probably down through the 'very good' range) should be completely audibly transparent. Choose on features, price, looks, whatever floats your boat. DACs are a solved problem. Save your money for speakers, EQ, room improvement, and music.

index.php

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The good news is you can get a fully transparent DAC for A few hundred bucks. Such as this one for $128:

Hold by beer...

There $80, and done!

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The NDX2 is, as absolutely everything made by Naim, way overpriced for its objective performance.

Any DAC competently designed will sound just as good. I mean it. You first have to set a price point. From there, you could choose something more precisely, regarding other criteria such as features, build quality, place of manufacture, design etc. Connectivity is also important as you seem to wish for some streaming capabilities...

What you could lose from the NDX2: Bragging rights, resale value, and possibly longevity. For everything else, there are vastly superior products out there. ;)

The Mojo 2 is a portable DAC that serves On-the-go purposes. For home use, there are way better picks.

Last edited:
OP
C

chickenshack

As stated above, competent DACs don’t have a “sound”. The NDX2 is highway robbery. Buy a decent DAC (it should cost less than a few hundred dollars) and spend the rest on a nice trip or a child’s college fund.
Yes, I have realised that the NDX2 is highway robbery and probably the same for the rest of Naim's gear. It appeals to people who are not gear-savvy like me, although I am slowly learning. I recently bought a DragonFly cobalt DAC for my iPhone and MacBook, which has significantly improved the sound quality. Is there a way I could connect the Cobalt to my pre-amp, and how would it sound if I could? By the way, I am from the UK.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something like this Cable let's you connect your Cobalt to preamp. It's an Audioquest cable which you seem to like. I'd get an Amazon basic Cable. .

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a way I could connect the Cobalt to my pre-amp,
If you wire your MacBook to your pre-amp, you can use your iPhone as a remote:

OP
C

chickenshack

If you wire your MacBook to your pre-amp, you can use your iPhone as a remote:

Yes, I discovered that it does make it convenient.

OP
C

chickenshack

Something like this Cable let's you connect your Cobalt to preamp. It's an Audioquest cable which you seem to like. I'd get an Amazon basic Cable. .
Thanks for the link; I'll try them out and see how they sound. There is an enormous difference in price: Does the Audioquest sound any better?

Zensō

Major Contributor

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
there a way I could connect the Cobalt to my pre-amp, and how would it sound if I could?
Probably like garbage :

Last edited:
OP
C

chickenshack

The NDX2 is, as absolutely everything made by Naim, way overpriced for its objective performance.

Any DAC competently designed will sound just as good. I mean it. You first have to set a price point. From there, you could choose something more precisely, regarding other criteria such as features, build quality, place of manufacture, design etc. Connectivity is also important as you seem to wish for some streaming capabilities...

What you could lose from the NDX2: Bragging rights, resale value, and possibly longevity. For everything else, there are vastly superior products out there. ;)

The Mojo 2 is a portable DAC that serves On-the-go purposes. For home use, there are way better picks.
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
If your Macbook has an analog headphone output it may be perfectly adequate. And a headphone output doubles as a line-output. (I'm a Windows guy so I don't know much about Macs.)

If you are not hearing noise (hum, hiss, or whine in the background) there is probably no audible improvement to be had. Frequency response and distortion are almost always better than human hearing, so noise is usually the only "sound quality" concern (with electronics).

Or if you are using headphones and your headphones don't' go loud enough you may need a headphone amp or a combination DAC/headphone DAC.

Top Bottom