• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Marcel

Sorry if the following is a dumb question..I am really new to equalizing headphones.

I installed Equalizer APO and Peace and managed to apply Oratory1990's settings for my headphone. How can I reliably compare the before/after effect of the applied eq? If I just turn it off in Peace the music is louder because then there is no pre amplification applied anymore. If I remove the pre amplication in the eq then that is louder. Should I adjust it somehow to get to approximately the same volume?

McLenin

Sorry if the following is a dumb question..I am really new to equalizing headphones.

I installed Equalizer APO and Peace and managed to apply Oratory1990's settings for my headphone. How can I reliably compare the before/after effect of the applied eq? If I just turn it off in Peace the music is louder because then there is no pre amplification applied anymore. If I remove the pre amplication in the eq then that is louder. Should I adjust it somehow to get to approximately the same volume?
One thing you could try, is setup another filter, totally flat - no change, and just apply the same minus pre-amp, and when just switch between those two filters. That should do the trick. As I am writing this, I should try it myself :p when I get home from work.

Martin

MCH

Major Contributor
Bubble Upnp Server can also do eq. The peculiarity for my use case, compared to i.e. moode, is that it does it "at the server" so the signal the streamer receives is already eq-ed

Mattcc22

Right, this is madenning now.

I've just hooked up my new EX5 (very nice, BTW). Equalizer APO simply isn't making any difference at all. The player now shows correctly as the EX5.

I've tried the -15dB trick from Page. Nothing. I've tried enabling/disabling exclusive mode. Nothing.
Same issue here, glad I'm not alone I guess, I thought I just wasn't doing something right. I have an older windows 10 PC. I had it working for a while and all of a sudden it just wouldn't apply the changes no matter what settings I adjusted.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Same issue here, glad I'm not alone I guess, I thought I just wasn't doing something right. I have an older windows 10 PC. I had it working for a while and all of a sudden it just wouldn't apply the changes no matter what settings I adjusted.

This is why so many of us are so keen on @JohnYang1997 and co. to build something like EQ APO into an app/driver/whatever for Topping DACs.

They’d make a LOT of friends. If the app only worked with their DACs, they’d sell more DACs.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I'm thinking about playing around with this room correction stuff..
Question: Do members here use the "stock" room correction microphone that came with AVR, or is it wise to upgrade? In my case it's a Pioneer VSX 80 reciever with MCACC. Thanks.

coonmanx

This one...
Screenshot at 2021-10-31 09-15-03.png

iMickey503

Forum Donor
For Android? ChromeOS? I just purchased SpotEQ31. It has 33 bands in the pro version. And a subscription model for 2.99 a month for some extra features. I just wanted to try out a 31-33 band EQ on Android that I could just download without going into dev mode or unlocking the bootloader or rooting on Android.

1635696572218.png

The App installs and works on ChromeOS or a Chromebook/Box.

What surprised me is that you do indeed get 33 bands. But the 60hz band seems to be MIA. Not sure why
1635696726330.png

You also as you can see, get independent equalisation of both channels which is a new one for me on an app.
It also has some extra stuff bellow:
1635696839355.png

The basic free version is all you need. AND PLEASE TRY IT OUT FOR A WEEK BEFORE YOU BUY!

One of the problems I ran into was distortion on the left channel, But also it put out a ghost image of the left side audio on the right with my testing. I don't know how prevalent this is. It might have to do with hardware, so try before you buy. I'm still doing testing with it.

It is in my opinion a very capable Application. It works. I tested all bands so far, impressed that it works, but not willing to use it as a dedicated solution yet.

It also has a settings menu to take care of some Android related audio routing issues.
1635697225106.png

The bands are selectable, but this is the full 33 monty here:
1635697342648.png

These are the list of Bands you can choose and a screen shot:

7 Bands
1635697455940.png

11 Bands
1635697491315.png

15 Bands
1635697523409.png

21 bands
1635697562655.png

23 Bands
1635697599956.png

27 Bands
1635697639461.png

31 Bands (33 shown prior)
1635697716380.png

Presets include these settings
1635697794612.png

Also as mentioned before, the stereo output can be E.Q.ed independently.
1635697855276.png

It does have a visulizer function. I have not got it to work yet or tried to bother with it.
1635697969737.png

It also features left right channel controls and gain etc.
1635698023360.png

Effects are these
1635698064144.png
With the following increments
1635698083996.png

I have only one BIG gripe about this kind of great software. Sometimes, you need a Peter at PS sound to walk your through it all Or Danny to give you the Mr. Rodgers on how these settings can be used. It would make this much more accessible.

On my Chromebook, I was unable to get rid of the distortion on either bluetooth or Headphone output. So my testing as for the eventing stopped there. I still have about 5 devices to try this on.

The nice thing is that it is EASY to use out of the box per say, and the only Harry potter is what you get with the subscription?

I tried it out for a quick run, but did not see any initial benefit to something like the Dolby Atmos EQ app that came stock with my Phone. Works a charm really. Even with AmazonHD.

I still wish they had more bands in the 20Hz to 250 Hz region. And maybe a PEQ option.

It is still under active development. And the Author is happy to answer questions with a fast response.

The person who uses this app is obviously someone who has some kind of dedicated measurement microphone and understands how to use tools like room EQ Wizard, etc.

there is a beta program. in the code from what I can tell so far is Rock Solid. the stock layout is white and it's well worth the $12 for me to have a black background.
the text readability could be improved a bit. but it works.

Its not crossover software by any means, but it may be useful if you need a Program that can take care of dips and peaks and unwanted response spikes or Resonance curve issues with some drivers. this works particularly well with speakers that happen to have a crazy breakup or response at crossover frequencies with analog crossovers.

I didn't experience any problems while switching Media or different application windows that kept running in the background so that's a plus, essentially was hiccup free with my limited testing.

you are also able to import values from different instances on different devices so you don't have to start from scratch so that's a plus. I think you need to be on the subscription-based model for that to happen although I believe you can manually insert files in as well if you are able to access the file system.

it seems that something like this would be more useful for the home audio crew out there and those with simple two channel setups. the fact that natively runs in Chrome OS without a hiccup is a real bonus for those of you looking for old Chromebox devices to use as playback media streaming front ends under native ChromeOS or Android native devices and does not require root privileges to install or run.

application was tested with Native local files. Spotify, and Amazon HD as well as YouTube.

test rig was a Asus Chromebook cp101a with 2GB of RAM. the program remains Snappy and did not experience any sort of lag in its operation.

the actual EQ sliders don't work as a regular EQ with instant feedback you have to point click and move to the location and then you will experience a change in its equalisation parameters you have set after you drop the slider to its location and then it will take effect. It does not happen realtime.

not sure how this works with multi-channel set-ups such as Amazon's movie streaming platform but it does seem to work quite well on to channel setups with what testing I have done until I ran into the Distortion snafu on the Left Channel.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mathaudio is also available for Apple IOS platforms.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom