• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Excellent off axis? Seeking suggestions for F226Be replacement.

archerious

Hi everyone, I’ve had my F226Be for some time and love them, but I want to give them to my parents as a retirement gift.

I’m trying to decide which I should pick up to replace them.

I have two excellent subs (Rythmik F18) and my SHD for room correction, so I’m leaning towards an open box Kef r3 for $1300, but I hated them in the past, finding them dull and like something was missing. I suspect it was the off-axis performance since I’m guilty of drinking while slouching, often center-right instead of perfectly center.

Listening Room specs: small 10x13 feet room with a short 8-9 foot ceiling. Upstairs and doubles as my home office, so I think I’d like to go for bookshelves again. I sit about 7-8 feet from the speakers.

The use case is movies/TV, and music. Roughly 40/60 split favoring music listening. Stereo setup with subs, no Dolby/center, etc. Genres of music I listen to: rock, orchestral, electric, jazz, classical. Sometimes vocaloid and other related genres like Pop.

I was quoted or found the following:
M126be pair $2703.01 with tax
F206 pair - $2596.92 with tax
Kef r3 - $1200-$1400 used or open box
Kef r3 meta - $1850 open box
Ascend Sierra LX - $1500
Focal Kanta pair b stock - $4400 open box

My goal is not to get such a downgrade that I buy another pair of F226Be, which at best is $4000 open box so far.

I’ve owned the R3 in the past and disliked them, but that was before I had my subs or SHD for room correction. I loved my M105s, but the soundstage didn’t seem to fill the room like my F226Be; I genuinely cannot hear anything other than my music or TV when I listen to F226Be. However, when I had the M105s, I could hear noise from downstairs or my neighbors walking, as it didn’t fill the room the same way as F226Be. I made sure to use my Apple Watch to check the dB; sure enough, it’s still 68dB (my preferred listening volume). I suspect it’s due to the wide dispersion that Revel is known for, but I am unsure why the M105 didn’t fill the same. Is it due to the size or amount of drivers?

Cheers, and thank you all.

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are happy, why would you downgrade. Why not pick a speaker from your list to give to your parents. Unlikely that they would notice the difference between the F226be and the F206. Why not show some photos of the speakers on your list and ask which matches their decor?

OP
archerious

archerious

If you are happy, why would you downgrade. Why not pick a speaker from your list to give to your parents. Unlikely that they would notice the difference between the F226be and the F206. Why not show some photos of the speakers on your list and ask which matches their decor?
I didn't want to get them a pair of F206 or any speakers for that matter but rather gift them a pair I already own and like.

I'm concerned they'll end up disliking them and cause me a loss when selling/returning, such as with their Lumina Vs.

This will make me sound like a terrible son, but my parents probably have five years of life left. When they pass, I'd rather not have a pair of F206 when I already own F226Be, which is superior. Also, I would prefer not to have to sell speakers and take a 50% or worse loss, as has been my experience in this hobby since rural Texas has no local buyers typically, and shipping will be costly for floorstanders.

That's why I felt going for bookshelves for myself for the time being might be a better option, but I don't want a significant downgrade.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
As the only person in my family or group of friends who even appreciates good sound, I can tell you that the people around me have no concept of a good speaker.

Their usual comment is often like “It makes a sound. Great!”

Most non-audiophiles will be happy with any decent sounding system.

In other words, you don’t have to give your parents the best system you have. You have the knowledge of ASR, to give them a decent sounding system, that they’ll appreciate, knowing it’s coming from you.

Personally, I would keep the Revels for yourself and get them the original R3, open box.

OP
archerious

archerious

As the only person in my family or group of friends who even appreciates good sound, I can tell you that the people around me have no concept of a good speaker.

Their usual comment is often like “It makes a sound. Great!”

Most non-audiophiles will be happy with any decent sounding system.

In other words, you don’t have to give your parents the best system you have. You have the knowledge of ASR, to give them a decent sounding system, that they’ll appreciate, knowing it’s coming from you.

Personally, I would keep the Revels for yourself and get them the original R3, open box.
Nice Rimuru profile picture; I did consider getting them bookshelf speakers, but I'm concerned they won't fill the room since their listening room is far larger than mine (20x25 feet or more; I'd have to tape measure it).

My parents dislike the Lumina V I gave them two years ago, complaining it's dull and dark, while the Klipsch they had prior was too bright.

I took a significant loss when selling their Klipsch speakers last time. I don't want to make my parents sound ungrateful, but they're picky when it comes to audio.

They spoiled me heavily when I was younger, so I can't whine too much about them being needy. It could be worse; they at least don't nag me for a new iPhone every year like my nieces or for my old car like my nephew.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you get the f206 or another pair of F226be you can eventually use them for surrounds. Also , dissatisfaction with speakers could stem from age related hearing loss.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers are the hardest and most personal part of an audio system. If you have found some you really love or are happy with, then going another way is not wise. Maybe if going toward something that could be better. Economizing and hoping to be just as happy maybe not. In the overall context your list of options for other speakers aren't saving you a significant amount of money if spread out over 5 years. You would be saving like $1 per day. Maybe you are overthinking it.

So I'd have two suggestions. Buy more F226Be's for your parents and keep yours. Or for a little money savings and something maybe a bit better for your parents larger room get them some F208s.

OP
archerious

archerious

Speakers are the hardest and most personal part of an audio system. If you have found some you really love or are happy with, then going another way is not wise. Maybe if going toward something that could be better. Economizing and hoping to be just as happy maybe not. In the overall context your list of options for other speakers aren't saving you a significant amount of money if spread out over 5 years. You would be saving like $1 per day. Maybe you are overthinking it.

So I'd have two suggestions. Buy more F226Be's for your parents and keep yours. Or for a little money savings and something maybe a bit better for your parents larger room get them some F208s.
I did consider F208 since they have a large room. Thank you for the suggestion; a Revel dealer in Texas has them for $3570 a pair open box. I might go that route for them, although shipping would be an extra $250; I may have to make the five-hour trip after all. :D

OP
archerious

archerious

Just as an update, I took my parents to Magnolia at my local best buy this morning and had them audition Kef R7.

They liked them quite a bit.

After scouring online for deals; I found on kef.com clearance they’re going for $999 each, no tax or shipping costs for Texans ;).

I saved a good chunk over Revel or really any other brand for brand new floorstanders.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, they were perfect. Now I can retain my F226Be :D.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol. The painful reality.
My experience is that people notice LF extension (immediately) and a reasonably linear presentation (after they've been listening a while). Further distinctions...not so much.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience is that people notice LF extension (immediately) and a reasonably linear presentation (after they've been listening a while). Further distinctions...not so much.
Sometimes if the treble is impossibly screechy, but...yeah. Give them phat bass and 99% are happy.

OP
archerious

archerious

Just as an update, I took my parents to Magnolia at my local best buy this morning and had them audition Kef R7.

They liked them quite a bit.

After scouring online for deals; I found on kef.com clearance they’re going for $999 each, no tax or shipping costs for Texans ;).

I saved a good chunk over Revel or really any other brand for brand new floorstanders.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, they were perfect. Now I can retain my F226Be :D.
The R7s arrived Thursday evening at my parents home (about eight hours ago).

My parents love them and I have to say they are significantly more detailed and accurate than the Sonus Faber Lumina V in there listening area. I ended up not needing Dirac or EQ they sound fantastic as is in their living room.

OP
archerious

archerious

If/when you decide to let go of the 226Be... give your ASR brethren first shot and post them for sale here.
I was going to list them on the ASR FS section, but it seems Donor status is required to list. I guess it's a new requirement since I sold on here in the past.

They'll be listed on USAudioMart.

Top Bottom