• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fane 15-300TC 15" full range speaker based project

jamescarter1982

To be honest, no
I always listen on axis only

To be honest, no
I had some interesting results making a slotted opening in front of the driver seemed to improve the horizontal dispersion listening just by ear . also the driver took quite a while to break in and really sounded a lot better after it did . got a measurement mic now hoping to do some measurements soon as a friend has given me free reign to design a speaker for him as big as I want. thinking this above a sealed 15ing sub . what percentage would you say the distortion averages above sag 300 htz? I can't see on the graph a percentage number . thanks in advance James

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
I had some interesting results making a slotted opening in front of the driver seemed to improve the horizontal dispersion listening just by ear . also the driver took quite a while to break in and really sounded a lot better after it did . got a measurement mic now hoping to do some measurements soon as a friend has given me free reign to design a speaker for him as big as I want. thinking this above a sealed 15ing sub . what percentage would you say the distortion averages above sag 300 htz? I can't see on the graph a percentage number . thanks in advance James

Here you go ;)

1673896824958.png

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To be honest, no
Interesting statement.

I was of that opinion for a long time, but now I'm starting to wonder if that's a reasonable position. After all - reflections will arrive to our ears whether we listen to on axis or not. And, if those reflections are significantly different than direct sound - the mix of the two should change things perceptually. However - I am not decided if that's truly audible or not to my (non-magic) ears.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Horizontal or vertical?

s-l500.jpg

attachment.php

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Interesting statement.

I was of that opinion for a long time, but now I'm starting to wonder if that's a reasonable position. After all - reflections will arrive to our ears whether we listen to on axis or not. And, if those reflections are significantly different than direct sound - the mix of the two should change things perceptually. However - I am not decided if that's truly audible or not to my (non-magic) ears.

I really would not like to digress, I think there are many-many posts about this subject on this forum; I just would like to say that if you compare the IR curve of a single driver, one-way system with a multiway system you will see that the former will have significantly less reflections.

I practical example that I love: the sliding door to our kitchen is near my left speaker. There is damping material on the side wall next to the speaker but if I open the sliding door to the kitchen the door itself will cover the damping material and will act as a reflective surface. With any previous multi-way systems that action caused a huge distortion in the sound stage due to the reflections that the door introduced. If I perform this experiment with these speakers (or any other single-driver speaker - I have had a few) I hear zero change whatsoever...

jamescarter1982

Horizontal or vertical?

s-l500.jpg

attachment.php

it was more of a diffraction slit .essentiall close off all but a narrow a slit vertically running the full height of the driver and the sound waves curve outwards from this opening widening dispersion. the narrower the slit the higher in frequencies it has effect apon so to work as high as 20khtz the slit would have to be 17mm wide . mine was 7inch wide and worked very well plan to do more experiments on this now I have a nice and r.e.w
downloadfile.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
it was more of a diffraction slit .essentiall close off all but a narrow a slit vertically running the full height of the driver and the sound waves curve outwards from this opening widening dispersion. the narrower the slit the higher in frequencies it has effect apon so to work as high as 20khtz the slit would have to be 17mm wide . mine was 7inch wide and worked very well plan to do more experiments on this now I have a nice and r.e.w
Gotcha. a la the "Hoodwin" diffraction horn used for decades by EV (and, by extension, Klipsch) in the T35 family of tweeters.

1673908404365.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
just FYI this is a comparison with my previous Nubert nuVero 140 speakers...... (blue is the Nubert)
No comment :)

View attachment 257690
Those profiles look too much alike to be anything really meaningful:
1673952329249.png

Here are your 2 graphs overlayed. Beyond 200 Hz they are way too similar. Maybe below 100 Hz it shows some differences.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Finally, the cabinets and the room are now both finished!

Here are a couple of pictures:

20230204_121731.jpg

20230204_121756.jpg

And the dimmable, remote-controlled LED lighting is also finished, please see the video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QnAjG9jTdgaDzFiu6

So with this, I consider this project to be finished - so far these are the best-sounding front speakers I have ever had or built (I know I say this to all my projects but actually that is the point: to keep getting better and better, right? :))

Stay tuned for the next one! (new one-way rear speakers for the same room using SB20FRPC30-8 drivers)

jamescarter1982

Finally, the cabinets and the room are now both finished!

Here are a couple of pictures:

View attachment 262217

View attachment 262218

And the dimmable, remote-controlled LED lighting is also finished, please see the video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QnAjG9jTdgaDzFiu6

So with this, I consider this project to be finished - so far these are the best-sounding front speakers I have ever had or built (I know I say this to all my projects but actually that is the point: to keep getting better and better, right? :))

Stay tuned for the next one! (new one-way rear speakers for the same room using SB20FRPC30-8 drivers)
looks really nice what are the lights you've used? what is the rest of your system please ?

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
looks really nice what are the lights you've used? what is the rest of your system please ?
Thanks @jamescarter1982
The lights are from a local LED dealer: it consists of 2x50cm white warm COB LED strips, a power supply, a controller and a remote control.

You can find the rest of my system here.
I have moved to full digital amplification (FDA) with two Sabaj A30A in a multichannel system with an RME Digiface USB as a multichannel digital-to-digital converter
I must say I am extremely happy with it and I hope I will be able to stay with the FDA concept from now on

jamescarter1982

Thanks @jamescarter1982
The lights are from a local LED dealer: it consists of 2x50cm white warm COB LED strips, a power supply, a controller and a remote control.

You can find the rest of my system here.
I have moved to full digital amplification (FDA) with two Sabaj A30A in a multichannel system with an RME Digiface USB as a multichannel digital-to-digital converter
I must say I am extremely happy with it and I hope I will be able to stay with the FDA concept from now on
thanks some useful info in there. how do you find the bass from these I remebr you were talking about eqing flat into the 20s how does this driver manage with the we in the low end ? Hoping to make a similar pair of speakers for a friend and wonder if subs will be needed or not ? thanks James

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
thanks some useful info in there. how do you find the bass from these I remebr you were talking about eqing flat into the 20s how does this driver manage with the we in the low end ? Hoping to make a similar pair of speakers for a friend and wonder if subs will be needed or not ? thanks James
I am still fiddling around with the bass but I can already confirm that no subwoofer will be needed, not even for movies (at least to me)
One 15" woofer has the surface area of four 8" woofers, so basically I have an equivalent of eight 8" woofers in my living room now
Response is EQ-d to flat till about 24Hz and the -3dB point is about at 22Hz - and there is plenty of energy too even in that domain
My couch is literally moving below my a$$....just like when I used to have a pair of 12" Dayton Reference subs
And I need to add that bass is superfast, precise (much more so vs my previous systems with subs) and impactful at the same time

Actually I am about to write a separate post about this since I have some bass issues with my room that I just managed to solve without acoustic treatment

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Top Bottom