• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Federal Watchdog Launches Investigation of Age Bias at IBM

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's a surprise. They used to offer early retirement to get rid of older workers. The package was so lucrative that everyone would take it. I have a friend that took that, then they turned around and hired him as a consultant with even more money. He has been doing that for some 15 years!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a surprise. They used to offer early retirement to get rid of older workers. The package was so lucrative that everyone would take it.
Is it still as lucrative?

This sort of offer does not always work for everyone if their financial plan went wrong when life happened, the financial criss screwed a lot of plans.

It's what I'm hoping for down the line though.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's SOP where I work, though we use euphemisms for it. By and large, there's no payout, just a "we wish you the best in all your future endeavors."

OP
Rod

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's SOP where I work, though we use euphemisms for it. By and large, there's no payout, just a "we wish you the best in all your future endeavors."
My layoff notices came when the foreman walked up and said the job is over here is your check. They never let us know before hand.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it still as lucrative?
I suspect it is not now. I think they had grandfathered people with the old policies with pensions and such which were reportedly fantastic.

jfetter

Forum Donor
Must be some other 'no no' Ibm committed as every company does this.

Top Bottom