• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio K5 vs Topping DX3 vs Ifi Zen Dac with GTO firmware update vs Monolith liquid spark+topping D10

Jsingh4

Hello,

I have Fidelio X2hr and would like to get a new dac amp combo.
I have mentioned above options that I am considering to go with it I am trying to get at least mid level combo as I know I will be getting few other better headphones in future so I would like to invest in something which is great or can be upgraded in future.
Fiio K5 has enormous power for its size but I read somewhere that it has very neutral and boring tone
Zen dac it has less power but better dac with updated firmware, ppl say it sounds colorful and natural.
Topping DX3 is again a good option with Bluetooth as I would very much like to use my android phone very much.
Monolith+topping seems to be a very powerful combo but the size of the system will increase
So kindly suggest I need good sounding dac and amp which I can enjoy also I like natural and deep tight bass.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome Jsingh4,

What's your budget?

P.S. Any options that are suggested in this place are likely to put audible transparency in front of any other considerations. Audible transparency means that the device doesn't 'sound like' anything. Audible transparency is established via measurement that Amirm and some other ASR members have carried out and published here.

Once audible transparency is achieved, other considerations such as build quality, features and aesthetics become factors.

A minimal, audibly transparent solution would be a Topping D10 DAC + JDS Labs Atom headphone amplifier.

OP
J

Jsingh4

Hi @Berwhale thank you, my budget is from 200-250ish usd.
I would like to know more about Audible transparency.

OP
J

Jsingh4

Hi I did read the article not very thoroughly though, but after reading it I learned few things,
so what would you recommend if I go with jds atom + topping d10 will it be better than topping dx3 pro sound wise?
also can I use any other amp than jds atom to maintain audible transparency, I mean I am just asking as it has very high shipping rates to my country.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An alternative to the Atom would be Schiit Magni 3 Heresy...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...gni-3-and-heresy-headphone-amp-reviews.10311/

The DX3 Pro has has high output impedance. This means that it will not be transparent when used with headphones or IEMs with low input impedance. This could limit your choice of headphones later on. In other respects, the DX3 Pro is an excellent choice given your budget.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jsingh4

I understand, and what do you think about Geshelli Archel 2

OP
J

Jsingh4

Thanks so much you changed my whole view towards dac amps, I would probably go with one of the above amp thanks again
also under 100 usd is there a better dac than d10 or should I stay with d10 for now?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
under 100 usd is there a better dac than d10 or should I stay with d10 for now?

This is where we start getting into build quality, features, aesthetics, etc. You'll have to be more specific about 'better'. For example, I bought the D50s because of the separate PSU (not powered via USB), Bluetooth (with LDAC), IR remote and good looks (when paired with the Atom).

OP
J

Jsingh4

Thanks, it makes sense, I would prefer bluetooth input if possible also a headphone output in a standalone dac upto 200 usd,
thanks for you help

StJoesy

Hi,
Jsingh4, what was your final decision? Are you satisfied with it?

Thx.

Top Bottom