• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FIR for hypex fusion plate!

Reibekaese

I have no idea. Ha! Does anyone on here know?
The regular filters in the fusion amps are biquads, so these are regular minimum phase filters.
As per the manual for HFD, the FIR-filters have to be created in third party software. This means they can be whatever you want, linear phase, minimum phase or any kind of excess phase. You need to define your desired filter transfer function and transform it to an (appropriately windowed) impulse response in a suitable format and with a sample rate of 93.75 kHz.

tblb

in rephase, it is possible to make both, I tried both, but not sure what filter type is best.
I bought a umik, I will make mesurements of my drivers.
Is there some tutorial to make good drivers measurement (with no anechoic chamber) ?

Reibekaese

in rephase, it is possible to make both, I tried both, but not sure what filter type is best.
The appeal of FIR-filters is that you can easily create linear phase filters, or in general just manipulate amplitude and phase independently, while for minimum phase filters both are linked. Loudspeaker drivers are minimum phase devices, so if you equalize their amplitude response with minimum phase filters, you will automatically linearize their phase response, so that would be the recommended way to go. By the way, I would implement the minimum phase part of the filtering with the biquad (IIR) filters in HFD.
For the crossover it's different, here the minimum phase filters will introduce phase shift, while linear phase filters avoid that. However, it's not easy to decide which is better. Minimum phase will introduce phase shifts and thus a 'bad' looking impulse response. BUT while FIR-filters can be better from a signal theory standpoint and produce a better looking IR, they don't necessarily sound better. At least there's lots of discussion going on about that on this forum and in general.
Problem with FIR is, that they introduce pre ringing which is not masked as much by the human hearing compared to the ringing of causal IIR filters. If that becomes audible is mainly a matter of your crossover slopes but can be influenced by many things.

tblb

Thanks , I will try some combination but so far , iir crossover filter sound better to my ear .
I have to make mesurements to find what is the best cross over point and slope for bass mid and treble .
First time I go active , and it’s not as simple ….

Top Bottom