• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Forum Software Upgrade!!!

Wombat

Master Contributor
I liked having the FORUMS tab at both top and bottom of the page, as previously.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
@amirm Looking better yet since this afternoon. Your geisha hooker avatar is square again and I don't seem to remember it looking like that a few hours ago?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have not made any changes for it Sal. It is possible they are cached images and are expiring. That would explain why I did not see the problem with Firefox since I had not used it to browse the forum before.

mshenay

cool! Nice to see additional pics of her/the outfit

also update is nice, very clean VERY well executed! Good job

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Did we run these aesthetic "improvements" through any kind of empirical test to determine if they're actually an improvement?

Or, lacking that, at least double-blind blind ABX test?

I find these naked assertions that the new forum "looks better" to be potentially influenced by confirmation bias and placebo effects influenced by (ideally recused) comments on the part of site management.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. Sal said we didn't need to. And if anyone complained he would handle it.

Is Sal applying for a job at Stereophile? :eek:

Wombat

Master Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
In the previous version the user name appeared above the New Posts list. This included different options and information than the User Name in the topmost toolbar, e.g. Avatar, Signature, personal details, etc.

Is there a new option that I am missing?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Still seems to be the case.

I see a Forums(return to) tab at the top of a page. At the page bottom I see a file path(small letters) - Forums>xxxx>yyyy.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I see a Forums(return to) tab at the top of a page. At the page bottom I see a file path(small letters) - Forums>xxxx>yyyy.
Ok, there is a little arrow that appears at the bottom right hand corner when you get to the bottom of a page, it takes you to the top instantly so hopefully that will suffice.

It’s intresting how we all interact with this type of software, deal with changes like this etc . I hate it initially but in this case have found the ‘upgrade’ to be a genuine improvement.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ok, there is a little arrow that appears at the bottom right hand corner when you get to the bottom of a page, it takes you to the top instantly so hopefully that will suffice.
That is strangely implemented. I am not sure why it fades off. Regardless, it was only coming on when scrolling up. I just changed it so that it comes on whether you are scrolling up or down.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just click on the Forums text and it will do the same thing:

1526746376293.png

i.e. take you to the top level forum.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
That is strangely implemented. I am not sure why it fades off. Regardless, it was only coming on when scrolling up. I just changed it so that it comes on whether you are scrolling up or down.
Well it came on when you scrolled down to the bottom , when it’s needed. Bit distracting and unnecessary to be seeing it otherwise imo.

Top Bottom