• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli archel2/.5 pro owners club

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the review thread for the archell2, it was pointed out that there is no thread for the archel2.5 or differences between the 2 and 2.5, so here we go!
I only have a 2.5, not a 2, but from the review notes and cursory visual inspection, the major differences seem to be:

-balanced input (this almost certainly goes into a bal->se converter before the gain stage, as the gain stage is unlikely to take balanced input.
-opa1656 replaces opa1652 in the gain stage
-internal +/-15v power rails are generated by 2x cui pdm2-s12-s15-s instead of single pcn2-s12-d15-s

I was not planning on tearing mine down, but there have been requests for pcb shots of both the 2.5 and 2 if anyone is interested.

i am extremely impressed with this little box. It’s an incredibly impressive circuit that pushes its inexpensive components to their limits.

EVOLVIST

I got mine today. It didn't take but a few seconds to hear that I was hearing my Linn KD/3 and not the amp. This was because I had a few tracks selected that I would play through my Chord DAVE using my new HE1000se cans. I did this for a few days leading up to getting the Archell2.5.

Then when it arrived, I listened to the tracks through the Dave again, and then through the Linn with the Archell2.5 at unity gain, the Linn functioning as the pre-amp.

Yeah, give or take, the Linn + Archell2.5 sounded just as good or better than the DAVE alone.

Or, to put it another way, I know that audiophile psychology might dictate what I'm hearing with the new amp in. There could be a lot of factors. Still, after hearing the Linn + Archell2.5 combo, I have no qualms about selling my DAVE as a superfluous piece of gear. In fact, I found the Linn + Archell2.5 to be more revealing, inasmuch as the Dave seems to round notes off, while the Linn + Archell2.5 doesn't apologize for letting the listener hear the warts and all in a recording. Indeed, some of things I was hearing with the Archell2.5 was a little disconcerting that now I was hearing artifacts from needledrops that I had never heard before. That said, I got no impression of accentuated highs, which is largely due to nature of the cans, as well, yet all of the micro detail was there.

The Archell2.5 has plenty of juice to drive the HE1000se.

I know this isn't much of a review, but this little $179 investment probably has made me about $5k that I can put in my pocket by selling the DAVE.

If Geshelli one day made an amp for speakers I know where I would run to next. I'm never in a hurry to upgrade anything, so it's a relaxing feeling that I'm in a great place for both speakers and cans.

Blur

Forum Donor
Just ordered the 2.5 Pro. Going to sell my SP200 if I like it. I don't really care for the volume pot and gain choices on the SP200.

Paperdragons

I got 2.5 two days ago (black with smoke glass). The heft and general feel is sturdier than the archel pro original. I mainly got it to upgrade to balanced input since I had the enog 2 pro already and I like to support geshelli since their amps are super underrated. This thing measures better than a THX so I don't really see why anyone would need more. Super competitive, made in US, and a small business. Sounds great on my Ether CX (big planar) and DT 1990s (250ohm) with a ridiculous amount of headroom on both. I like the ethers with enog turned to high gain. Seems to sound a tad better in the bass but it's always tough to tell with stuff like that since I can't a/b it at this point.

Blur

Forum Donor
Can anyone confirm:

In low gain and using an IEM if you move the volume nob back and forth between full and zero is there any hum or crackling?

OP
M

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
no crackling and no audible hum for me. the sound of the blood vessels in my middle ear dominates any noise :)

this is with both sony ex800st and er4sr

Blur

Forum Donor
Thanks, mine is on its way!

Blur

Forum Donor
Less power, no hiss, much less scratchy volume knob, cool lights, feels a little cheaper as the enclosure of the Geshelli is very homemade vs the industrial design of the SP200.

If all you want is sheer power the SP200 is the way to go. Otherwise the Geshelli is better for lower power needs.

I sold my SP200 if that helps at all. Kept the Geshelli.

Reactions: PSO

hello0000

I got mine today. It didn't take but a few seconds to hear that I was hearing my Linn KD/3 and not the amp. This was because I had a few tracks selected that I would play through my Chord DAVE using my new HE1000se cans. I did this for a few days leading up to getting the Archell2.5.

Then when it arrived, I listened to the tracks through the Dave again, and then through the Linn with the Archell2.5 at unity gain, the Linn functioning as the pre-amp.

Yeah, give or take, the Linn + Archell2.5 sounded just as good or better than the DAVE alone.

Or, to put it another way, I know that audiophile psychology might dictate what I'm hearing with the new amp in. There could be a lot of factors. Still, after hearing the Linn + Archell2.5 combo, I have no qualms about selling my DAVE as a superfluous piece of gear. In fact, I found the Linn + Archell2.5 to be more revealing, inasmuch as the Dave seems to round notes off, while the Linn + Archell2.5 doesn't apologize for letting the listener hear the warts and all in a recording. Indeed, some of things I was hearing with the Archell2.5 was a little disconcerting that now I was hearing artifacts from needledrops that I had never heard before. That said, I got no impression of accentuated highs, which is largely due to nature of the cans, as well, yet all of the micro detail was there.

The Archell2.5 has plenty of juice to drive the HE1000se.

I know this isn't much of a review, but this little $179 investment probably has made me about $5k that I can put in my pocket by selling the DAVE.

If Geshelli one day made an amp for speakers I know where I would run to next. I'm never in a hurry to upgrade anything, so it's a relaxing feeling that I'm in a great place for both speakers and cans.

Before selling the DAVE let Amir do a measurement and review!!

Music&space

Work like a charm! Only thing i noticed is that high gain on the enog2 pushes the lower frequencies in the he4xx a bit too much. Have it at middle gain and it will probably stay there.

Attachments

• 20200122_182851.jpg
    20200122_182851.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 992

BenF

Forum Donor
I'm sorry to report that my pleasure with the Archel 2.5 Pro was short-lived. Left channel is constantly buzzing/crackling (even when no music is playing), no music coming out of left channel. Right channel seems to be ok. The XLR cables are good.

Blur

Forum Donor
Headphone jack or volume pot issue?

Geshelli

Audio Company
I'm sorry to report that my pleasure with the Archel 2.5 Pro was short-lived. Left channel is constantly buzzing/crackling (even when no music is playing), no music coming out of left channel. Right channel seems to be ok. The XLR cables are good.
Hi Ben, please send us an email so we can figure out what's happening with your amp

Reactions: PSO

Nybto

Forum Donor
My Archel 2 Pro has been sitting idle alot, while I wonder how I am going to incorporate it into my set-up at home, and I think I may have hit on a great idea. I originally thought I would pull the Khadas Tone Board out of the main rig (where it is pretending to be a Benchmark DAC3B, and replace that with something more substantial looking), but that would mean I would still need a SPDIF/USB source to feed it. Then I saw a really nice solution, the Allo Boss Mini (on a Pi Zero)! A streamer/DAC that just looks an ideal partner for the Archel 2 Pro, aesthetically and price appropriately. Connected wirelessly i could camp anywhere in the house (with Logitech Media server running on a Pi in the cellar), just two small units minimum fuss - with access to all my music, obviously. Combined with my new HD660S I think I am going to have an extremely cool semi-mobile rig!

Thought I would float the idea.. What are the rest of you doing with it?

chingo

Just got my Archel2.5 Pro, nice little amp. Is it normal to be hearing quite a bit of white noise at full volume with high gain on? It starts around 1 o clock on the volume knob, the knob goes between 4 and 5 o clock, so quite a large range has audible white noise. Tested with a pair of HD650's and Sundas & an enog2 pro. I have the enog2 set 1 volume level down. I could put the enog2 on the highest volume, but I'd like to have full range on the volume knob.

Tks

Major Contributor
Just got my Archel2.5 Pro, nice little amp. Is it normal to be hearing quite a bit of white noise at full volume with high gain on? It starts around 1 o clock on the volume knob, the knob goes between 4 and 5 o clock, so quite a large range has audible white noise. Tested with a pair of HD650's and Sundas & an enog2 pro. I have the enog2 set 1 volume level down. I could put the enog2 on the highest volume, but I'd like to have full range on the volume knob.

Totally not normal I'd guess. Sounds like a ground loop issue. At first I thought you might've been using IEM's or something like from Campfire. But on something like 300ohm 650's and hearing hum/hiss? Not normal I'd say. These amps are just far too clean inherently.

Top Bottom