• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GoldenEar BRX

Ron Texas

Master Contributor

snaimpally

I'd like to see Amir test the BRX. One reviewer compared with several more expensive speakers, including the Revel 126Be and a Focal standmount speaker, and the BRX held their own. GR Research did some measurements and the freq curve was quite flat. Having the passive radiators on both sides means it should put out much more bass than other comparable sized speakers.

Reed

I listened to the BRX, Paradigm b40 and Revel M106 on Thursday. Going to listen again next week. Not the greatest demo room but adequate. Swapped these out on stands in the same position. I liked the BRX and M106. The Paradigm not so much. The BRX was a bit subdued compared to the M106. Not saying one is correct, just an observation. The BRX was more adept at disappearing on all tracks I listened to. Also had a wider soundstage. M106 had more punch to the bass and possibly more precise image. The BRX is pickier on toe-in and height. I’m a single chair guy so it doesn’t matter but a couch listener might prefer the Revel. Can’t think of anything the Paradigms excelled at for my ears. Not incompetent, just not what I like at first listen.

buzwork

I listened to the BRX, Paradigm b40 and Revel M106 on Thursday. Going to listen again next week. Not the greatest demo room but adequate. Swapped these out on stands in the same position. I liked the BRX and M106. The Paradigm not so much. The BRX was a bit subdued compared to the M106. Not saying one is correct, just an observation. The BRX was more adept at disappearing on all tracks I listened to. Also had a wider soundstage. M106 had more punch to the bass and possibly more precise image. The BRX is pickier on toe-in and height. I’m a single chair guy so it doesn’t matter but a couch listener might prefer the Revel. Can’t think of anything the Paradigms excelled at for my ears. Not incompetent, just not what I like at first listen.
Any update on your selection? I auditioned Revel M105 & M106, GE BRX, Dynaudio Emit 20, and a few others that were unremarkable so I can't recall the models.

I ended up preferring the M105 and BRX. Couldn't decide on which ones I liked best so I got both.

Amir indicated he'd be posting his official review on the BRX I sent him in the next day or so.

Reed

Any update on your selection? I auditioned Revel M105 & M106, GE BRX, Dynaudio Emit 20, and a few others that were unremarkable so I can't recall the models.

I ended up preferring the M105 and BRX. Couldn't decide on which ones I liked best so I got both.

Amir indicated he'd be posting his official review on the BRX I sent him in the next day or so.
I ordered a pair of Genelec 8030c yesterday. 45 day trial via Guitar Center. They’ve been on my radar for a while. That’s great news about an imminent review of the BRX. I’ll listen to the Genelec and then try to order either the BRX or one of the Revels if I’m not in love. Its tough trying to audition in a store and there’s really no way with the Genelec. Did you audition at a store or in home?

buzwork

I ordered a pair of Genelec 8030c yesterday. 45 day trial via Guitar Center. They’ve been on my radar for a while. That’s great news about an imminent review of the BRX. I’ll listen to the Genelec and then try to order either the BRX or one of the Revels if I’m not in love. Its tough trying to audition in a store and there’s really no way with the Genelec. Did you audition at a store or in home?
I auditioned at my favorite local dealer.

buzwork

VermontAudio51

https://www.stereophile.com/content/goldenear-brx-bookshelf-reference-x-loudspeaker-measurements

A somewhat fancy bookshelf with a 6.5" low, a ribbon tweeter and two passive radiators.
Anyone want to look at JA's measurements and react? I realize there are lots of members here who hate this company.
I haven't even seen a pair of these, let alone listened to them.
It would really help if actually LISTENED to them, instead of trusting MEASUREMENTS only! The BRX is a fantastic speaker! I have owned a couple of pairs of GoldenEar speakers and they are some of the most realistic reproducers of sound I have ever heard.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
It would really help if actually LISTENED to them, instead of trusting MEASUREMENTS only! The BRX is a fantastic speaker! I have owned a couple of pairs of GoldenEar speakers and they are some of the most realistic reproducers of sound I have ever heard.
After reading the review here, I'll pass. Your post has a bit too much attitude for me, especially since I didn't make any claims. If you like Goldenear, fine with me.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Fantastic? I heard them just last night at the dealer's and I came back here to see if there was a review or measurement. I went to the dealers to actually listen to the Wharfedale 12.4 and they had the BRX and KHL Model 5 in the same row. The BRX sounded, at best, average, the Model 5 didnt wow me but the Diamond 12.4 had a sense of realism that the other 2 just cant match. So in short, the BRX is an average speaker. Expensive for what it is too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom