• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hafler DH-220 Rebuild Questions

Bloomer

I'm rebuilding a Hafler DH-220, a "Works great!!!" ebay find. Well, one channel outputting music, the other just grungy noise, is "great"? Not to me. Didn't cost much and the case, transformer are in good shape. Rather than replace component after component, or even bother with voltage checks, I opted for a QUAC rebuild.

I pulled those pics from a search, neither are my amp.

First question: My unit has blue .01 uF caps from half the output mosfets directly to a ground on one heat sink. Most of the photos I've seen have brown .1uF caps in the same positions but a few are blue. The parts list says .1uF. I disconnected all of my blue caps, they tested .01uF, as printed on them. Which is correct?
I can't tell yet but don't think that kit has replacements for those caps. I have both values on hand but not quite knowing their function, I don't want to guess wrong and fry something (see below.)

hafler-dh-220 blue caps.jpg
hafler dh-220 brown capsA.jpg

Second Question: I sprung for EXICON sorted mosfets ( ECF10N20-S, ECF10P20-S.) Anything special I should know about swapping them in? Reason is one of the existing mosfets measured very differently on the pure static channel than the other three.

I've done some other parts replacement projects and kit installations, all successful, all made a difference in sound. Mostly for fun. ROI is irrelevant. Kinda learning as I go along.

Thank you for any help.

EERecordist

OP
B

Bloomer

There are various upgrade kits available for the Hafler DH 220 for example this one on eBay. I'd don't know whether that would suit your need or be overkill.
That's the one I got. Musical Concepts stuff got nutty expensive fast with a power supply upgrade thrown in.

Top Bottom