• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello from England

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I found this site almost by accident but enjoyed reading many threads so wanted to join. I am a former hi-fi enthusiast who probably spent far too much in my younger days, became cynical of all the chicanery and over hyped subjective stuff and ended up being happy with a relatively inexpensive system for many years made from Sony and Yamaha equipment which despite its modest cost (by hi-fi enthusiast standards) was actually manufactured to far higher standards and far more durable than any of the esoteric hardware my friends and I dabbled with. I am a mechanical engineer by profession but spent enough years working in electricity generation (alas, my experience is with equipment rated in KV, up to 475KV, rather than hi-fi levels) to have a decent understanding of electrical engineering and recognise the stuff written about cables etc for what it is. Nowadays I generally use headphones and listen to music in private since my kiddies took over the house. I am not a big spender, but recently the UK importer of Beyerdynamic was offloading "B" stock T5p headphones for less than half price so I decided it was worth a go and am very happy with them. I wouldn't have paid the full SRP but for the price paid I'm delighted (even if some of the materials feel slightly low rent given the high SRP). I have been looking for a new headphone amp and DAC and was contemplating a Schiit Jotunheim which initially seemed to be priced within what I was willing to pay, appeared well made and was well regarded by most. I then stumbled on the Schiit measurement tests on this site and some of the observations of their build and design (e.g. lack of earth bonding on the case work and backed away, so thanks for that! Anyway, greetings and I hope to try and participate (although I'm no expert and not especially knowledgeable).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. Glad you found the site. I'm sure an ME can provide some useful knowledge on things we do in audio.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hello, I found this site almost by accident but enjoyed reading many threads so wanted to join. I am a former hi-fi enthusiast who probably spent far too much in my younger days, became cynical of all the chicanery and over hyped subjective stuff and ended up being happy with a relatively inexpensive system for many years made from Sony and Yamaha equipment which despite its modest cost (by hi-fi enthusiast standards) was actually manufactured to far higher standards and far more durable than any of the esoteric hardware my friends and I dabbled with. I am a mechanical engineer by profession but spent enough years working in electricity generation (alas, my experience is with equipment rated in KV, up to 475KV, rather than hi-fi levels) to have a decent understanding of electrical engineering and recognise the stuff written about cables etc for what it is. Nowadays I generally use headphones and listen to music in private since my kiddies took over the house. I am not a big spender, but recently the UK importer of Beyerdynamic was offloading "B" stock T5p headphones for less than half price so I decided it was worth a go and am very happy with them. I wouldn't have paid the full SRP but for the price paid I'm delighted (even if some of the materials feel slightly low rent given the high SRP). I have been looking for a new headphone amp and DAC and was contemplating a Schiit Jotunheim which initially seemed to be priced within what I was willing to pay, appeared well made and was well regarded by most. I then stumbled on the Schiit measurement tests on this site and some of the observations of their build and design (e.g. lack of earth bonding on the case work and backed away, so thanks for that! Anyway, greetings and I hope to try and participate (although I'm no expert and not especially knowledgeable).

Welcome. It is good to see someone else on this forum familiar with HVAC, and I am not referring to heating and cooling equipment. :)

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the welcome!

Top Bottom