• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help connecting Blu Ray to Wiim Amp

glooka

Hi everybody,

I am going to buy a Sony Blu Ray player BDP6700 which I will use for infrequent CD listening and movies, and I want to connect it to a Wiim Amp which I will use for streaming from my NAS and for powering my speakers.

How can I connect the Blu Ray Player to the Wiim Amp?
The player has HDMI out (which I will connect to the TV) and coax out; the Wiim Amp has optical input.

Thanks in advance.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Either use HDMI ARC out from TV or Toslink one both set to PCM stereo only.
Downside is that TV has to be on if it's a downside for you.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Either use HDMI ARC out from TV or Toslink one both set to PCM stereo only.
Downside is that TV has to be on if it's a downside for you
Thanks, but for CD listening I would like to have the TV off.

The old Sony Blu-ray player I used to use for CD and SACD playing did not require the TV to be on. Just put the CD in and hit play.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well there are cheap optical/Toslink converters but I don't know how good they work nor do I know how that BR will work without display regarding functionally.

OP
G

glooka

The old Sony Blu-ray player I used to use for CD and SACD playing did not require the TV to be on. Just put the CD in and hit play.
Hi Brian, TV on is needed if I want the sound going from the player to the TV through HDMI and then from the TV to the amp through HDMI Arc.

OP
G

glooka

Well there are cheap optical/Toslink converters but I don't know how good they work nor do I know how that BR will work without display regarding functionally.
I will have a look at those converters.
Regarding BR without display: the player will be connected to a TV for movies, but for the casual CD listening, I think I should be able to insert a disc and just press "play". A display should not be needed for CD playing.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Bluray player to HDMI splitter, bluray set to stereo PCM only (i.e. multichannel audio downmixed by the player), splitter out to TV, one to WiiM amp for the audio.

This should mean you don't need the TV on to play stereo audio, like a CD.

JSmith

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi Brian, TV on is needed if I want the sound going from the player to the TV through HDMI and then from the TV to the amp through HDMI Arc.

I ran optical (toslink) from the Blu-ray player to my DAC. And RCA to my amp for the one SACD that I have just to see if it sounded any different. (It didn't).

You could also just run RCA from the blu-ray player to your amp.

Unless you are using the blu-ray player to watch movies too. I thought you meant you just wanted to use it to play CDs.

OP
G

glooka

Bluray player to HDMI splitter, bluray set to stereo PCM only (i.e. multichannel audio downmixed by the player), splitter out to TV, one to WiiM amp for the audio.

JSmith
How does this kind of device work? Is it USB powered? Is there a switch button to change the output?

Kaakberg

Yep. But wiim amp has no coax in. I have a computer monitor as a display to hdmi Of Sony bdp s1700. Sound via coax to amp. So you need a coax/optical converter.

lennyanders

JSmith
You plan to connect one HDMI directly to the WiiM amp? That won't work since the WiiM only accepts HDMI Arc. That is what the TV provides, not the Blu-ray player.

So I guess it's either with an Coaxial to optical converter or over RCA. You could also maybe have the TV on but the display turned off if the TV supports that. But would be too much hustle still for me personally.

OP
G

glooka

You plan to connect one HDMI directly to the WiiM amp? That won't work since the WiiM only accepts HDMI Arc. That is what the TV provides, not the Blu-ray player.

So I guess it's either with an Coaxial to optical converter or over RCA. You could also maybe have the TV on but the display turned off if the TV supports that. But would be too much hustle still for me personally.
Yes, it seems the only way to use the Blu Ray Player as a CD Player is using a coax to optical converter. Any suggestions for a decent model?

lennyanders

Yes, it seems the only way to use the Blu Ray Player as a CD Player is using a coax to optical converter. Any suggestions for a decent model?
I had the one from Lindy. It did it's job. But a cheaper no name thing from Amazon will probably bring the exact same results.

OP
G

glooka

I had the one from Lindy. It did it's job. But a cheaper no name thing from Amazon will probably bring the exact same results.
This could work:
I just have a question: will it be always switched on?

lennyanders

I just have a question: will it be always switched on?
Yes. You could connect it to the USB port of the BD player. Then it would only be turned on when that one is turned on too. Sadly your BD player does only have an USB port on the bottom so the cable would always be visible.

Robin L

Master Contributor
For playing CDs they will work fine. I've got an older Sony Blu Ray that's SACD capable. It's got both optical and coax digital outputs. Use it mostly for playing CDs through an outboard DAC. As it can also play DVDs it can play DVD-A discs, but a monitor would be necessary to navigate the menu. I've used a Toslink converter, couldn't tell if there was any sound degradation.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For playing CDs they will work fine. I've got an older Sony Blu Ray that's SACD capable. It's got both optical and coax digital outputs. Use it mostly for playing CDs through an outboard DAC. As it can also play DVDs it can play DVD-A discs, but a monitor would be necessary to navigate the menu. I've used a Toslink converter, couldn't tell if there was any sound degradation.
This. And there won't be any sound degradation - or if there is it will be obvious pops/clicks, and it can be sent back as faulty.

Top Bottom