• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help connecting dac/amp stack to active speaker

Rizzler1889

Hello i want to ask some question about connecting dac amp stack to active speaker.

So i have ifi zen air dac connected to a headphones (as im planning to also upgrade to a decent planar headphones in the future) and active speakers the speaker brand is edifier r1280ts via the rca at the back of the ifi air, i wanted to buy a new dedicated amp its the smsl sh-6. And this what the connection going to be based on my head :

The smsl sh-6 connected to ifi zen air via rca cable and the powered active speaker going to be connected to smsl sh-6 pre-out at the back.

So did i have 2 pre-amp stage and 2 volume control ? One in the ifi zen air and in the smsl sh-6?

If so, Is this hurting performance/SQ by running 2 pre-amping?

OP
R

Rizzler1889

Yes.

No.

Welcome to ASR btw :)
Hey thanks for the quick reply. (and thanks for the warm welcome )

Another question. If thats the case how would the ideal volume knob setting gonna be? Max on the ifi zen air and adjusting the rest in sh-6 or just running 50% on both?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hey thanks for the quick reply. (and thanks for the warm welcome )

Another question. If thats the case how would the ideal volume knob setting gonna be? Max on the ifi zen air and adjusting the rest in sh-6 or just running 50% on both?
Since both devices use analog attenuation, it shouldn't really matter which one you use.

Though ideally, make sure that neither volume knob is close to its minimum volume position as that usually accentuates channel imbalance.

genXSound

Hi @staticV3, Guys, I hope you’re doing well! I need your precious advice, I believe my question matches this thread…Can I connect a vintage amplifier to active speakers (Edifier r2850db) ? I am thinking to use the pre-out of a Pioneer SX626 to the Edifier. Would that function? PS. I know you may wonder why but first I’d need to know your technical advice and then will discuss also the reson. Thank you in advance,

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @staticV3, Guys, I hope you’re doing well! I need your precious advice, I believe my question matches this thread…Can I connect a vintage amplifier to active speakers (Edifier r2850db) ? I am thinking to use the pre-out of a Pioneer SX626 to the Edifier. Would that function? PS. I know you may wonder why but first I’d need to know your technical advice and then will discuss also the reson. Thank you in advance,
Welcome to ASR! Should work fine, but since the Edifier seems to have its own tone and volume controls, you might want to use the Tape output instead of pre out.

genXSound

Hi @staticV3, thank you fir the reply, Just want to better understand more on the Tape output, more concrete, what cables, how many will go from the amplifier to the active speakers (Edifier r2850db) and where (into the line in 1,2, etc). Many thanks in avdance!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @staticV3, thank you fir the reply, Just want to better understand more on the Tape output, more concrete, what cables, how many will go from the amplifier to the active speakers (Edifier r2850db) and where (into the line in 1,2, etc). Many thanks in avdance!
SX-626 Pre out -> RCA -> R2850DB Line in 1.

You will need two RCA cables. One for each channel.

Top Bottom