• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Please - Sonos Amp Sub Out with Buckeye NC502MP and passive sub

billymac

I could use some wisdom, please. I have been running a small patio 2.1 setup for 3+ years and it's been great. Sonos Amp powering a pair of Polk Atrium 6 and then sub out from Sonos to an old Polk SWA500 subwoofer amp and the polk amp wired (4 conductor) to a Polk Atrium Sub100 (dual 8ohm voice coils). It worked well.

Fast forward and I added a Buckeye NC502MPx4 to my home theater for LCR. (kicking myself for not buying the 6-channel now). So, I thought hey, why don't I get rid of this old ugly Polk SW amp and run the Sub100 off the Buckeye's 4th unused channel--I can use the Sonos app crossover and subwoofer "level control" settings, right? So, I gave it a shot and ran into what I suspect is line level voltage gain issues/mismatch. The sub works, but I now have to turn the Sonos app subwoofer level to somewhere around +12 to +15 (max) and it's still a little anemic. With the old Polk amp, I was typically around 0 to +2, but I had gain/volume control on the polk amp as well as the sonos app.

I've double-check wiring and even rewired down to a single pair of conductors from the Buckeye so that I'm running the DVC sub in parallel at 4ohms. I believe further evidence of possible gain structure issues is that when I turn the Sonos MV up, the subwoofer seems to come to life, but it's at a volume that I wouldn't typically listen at outside due to respect for neighbors.

What am I missing? Is there anything I could do to help resolve this? Was wondering about maybe a line level amplifier, but really hoping not to mess with that. I'd really like to avoid putting the polk amp back in my rack.

Would I be better served picking up a Buckeye NC252MP 2-channel (lower input sensitivity) and feeding the sub both channels, one per voice coil?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or guidance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom