• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Ananda Nano Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 78 41.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 88 46.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 16 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters

Brubaker

i think that the right choice for hifiman is the xs edition.... not more than 380 $ for hifiman's products. This is the value reading the measurements .

johny_2000

i think that the right choice for hifiman is the xs edition.... not more than 380 $ for hifiman's products. This is the value reading the measurements .
The same refurbished model sells for $279 in the US, Canada, UK and EU.

But I've heard too many complaints from others about the discomfort and poor fit of the headband. This is the only thing holding me back from ordering.
After decades of using Sennheiser HDs where I didn't feel them on my head for hours of listening, I'm concerned about the headband and non-swivel earcups of the Edition XS.

Last edited:

Leiker535

non-swivel earcups of the Edition XS.
They do swivel. The one that doesn't is the one present in Sundara or old Ananda's. It also worthwhile saying that you can easily swap hifiman wurst headband with a more confortable alternative easily. There are even some kits available on AliExpress for that.

I myself did so with my he6se, as it's unbearably heavy by itself.

johny_2000

And new Anandas as well.
I found that the swivel earcups are very important because the head orientation is constantly changing even while listening to chilling music, and then if they don't swivel, there are unwanted sound leaks that change the entire tone of the music. This is what turned me off from headphones without swivel earcups. Been spoiled by Sennheiser headphones for decades.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
I found that the swivel earcups are very important because the head orientation is constantly changing even while listening to chilling music, and then if they don't swivel, there are unwanted sound leaks that change the entire tone of the music. This is what turned me off from headphones without swivel earcups. Been spoiled by Sennheiser headphones for decades.
Yes, Anandas are hit or miss because lack of swivel. Hifiman’s headbands for entry to mid level headphones are subpar, from my point of view. Only Aryas and more expensive models get a decent headband.

AryaStealth

$15 Hifiman Comfort Strap from CapraAudio on etsy may help with XS headband uneven weight distribution (I tried HE6se v2 which has the same headband, and I can definely say that on my head this type of Hifiman headband can only be called a torture device. I couldn't wear it more than 15 minutes, it is painfully uncomfortable). In the UK CustomCans designed a leather strap for XS.

Blorg

They do swivel. The one that doesn't is the one present in Sundara or old Ananda's. It also worthwhile saying that you can easily swap hifiman wurst headband with a more confortable alternative easily. There are even some kits available on AliExpress for that.

I myself did so with my he6se, as it's unbearably heavy by itself.
It's not at all easy with the Edition XS, you need to fully disassemble the cups to get the screws out; they are also glued/threadlocked in tight. And after that you need to find a headband that will actually fit the oval cups. Hifimans do not all take the same headband or the same approach, they are subtly different. You can't put a Sundara headband on the Ananda for example although it might look the same, the cup dimensions are different. Arya uses a pin-in system rather than the screws on the Ananda. HE6SE does NOT have the same headband either, in the sense they are not interchangable, the top is the same construction but the dimensions of the cups are different. And so on.

I replaced the headband on my HE6SEV2 as well, that was easy. It's not on the Edition XS. With that one, I just added a headband cover, and bent the arms in to increase clamp force, this worked fine and they are very comfortable now.

The best solution for the Edition XS, if you don't have it already, is to buy the Ananda Stealth for only $20 more, which sounds identical, possibly is identical (the impedance and sensitivity was changed to be very near identical the EXS) but has a suspension headband (but, no cup swivel).

Last edited:

Neo Cyrus

What is the best EQ I can use on the Ananda Nano?
I just followed what Amir posted in his review, then tuned it from there to my liking. His sample seems to line up relatively close to the one I got, mine is perhaps not quite as extreme on the high end/treble.

And a small update regarding the headphones: The high pressure has seemed to decrease slightly. It was never so bad that I couldn't wear it for a long period of time, but it was always bad enough that I'd be aware there's something clamping on my head & I'd adjust it once in a while. I suspect over time it will loosen up further. Even with the out-of-the-box clamp force, I still much preferred that over the loose Edition XS as far as comfort/fit goes.

Phidel

I just followed what Amir posted in his review, then tuned it from there to my liking. His sample seems to line up relatively close to the one I got, mine is perhaps not quite as extreme on the high end/treble.

And a small update regarding the headphones: The high pressure has seemed to decrease slightly. It was never so bad that I couldn't wear it for a long period of time, but it was always bad enough that I'd be aware there's something clamping on my head & I'd adjust it once in a while. I suspect over time it will loosen up further. Even with the out-of-the-box clamp force, I still much preferred that over the loose Edition XS as far as comfort/fit goes.

Can you share it?

At this moment I'm using this and I think the Nano sounds amazing, can't understand this popular hate on this cans, I have the 560s and Sundara and I preffer the Nanos by far.

7.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Cyrus

Can you share it?

At this moment I'm using this and I think the Nano sounds amazing, can't understand this popular hate on this cans, I have the 560s and Sundara and I preffer the Nanos by far.
The 4 bands he changed that's in the first post of this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...equalization-eq-parametric-filter-png.361218/

I've considered decreasing the -6db at 12KHz since that's a lot, but it seems I'm pretty sensitive to 12KHz, so after some tests I left it at -6db. As for what I'm using for EQ right now, here's the pic. Some of you will probably have a laugh at it, but it works for what I'm currently listening to, for other songs these settings would blow out my ears.

I agree that these headphones are underrated here, they're my favorite pair that I've tried so far. Although I haven't tried a ton of audiophile headphones, the fact that (for my taste) it puts the HD650/6XX to shame does mean something to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-24 005132.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-24 005132.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Phidel

The 4 bands he changed that's in the first post of this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...equalization-eq-parametric-filter-png.361218/

I've considered decreasing the -6db at 12KHz since that's a lot, but it seems I'm pretty sensitive to 12KHz, so after some tests I left it at -6db. As for what I'm using for EQ right now, here's the pic. Some of you will probably have a laugh at it, but it works for what I'm currently listening to, for other songs these settings would blow out my ears.

I agree that these headphones are underrated here, they're my favorite pair that I've tried so far. Although I haven't tried a ton of audiophile headphones, the fact that (for my taste) it puts the HD650/6XX to shame does mean something to me.

After trying many EQ I can say these cans are manufactured for music and maybe movies (I never see movies using headphones, then I can't get an opinion) but not for play games, I have the 560s that are thousand times better for its imaging and positioning, the Nanos can't does it, they are awesome for music using a proper EQ but if you want play some FPS you need to return to default EQ, this not happens with the 560s I use the same EQ for music and games, for music sounds very well and for games sounds amazing with an incredible representation of the steps, the explosions, the shoots, etc., but when I use the Nanos I get a mediocre postioning in games but an awesome performance in music, why?

Top Bottom