• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

djdolcevita

I recently bought a Hifiman XS, sadly it was a bit of a hasty decision since the headphones were on sale. I didn’t check whether my interface (Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen) is powerful enough to efficiently power the headphone (I would use it for music production with Sonarwork (Flattening-EQ Software)).

I tested the headphone and at lower and very high volumes I can hear clipping/distorting noises, which for me is unbearable. I also tested them on my DJM-800 headphone out, just to identify the issue, and the threshold when the clipping started was much higher (way higher than I would use them anyways).

Now I wonder what makes the most sense:
- Get a Topping DX3 Pro+ headphone amp and Route it via digital out after the Scarlett 8i6, would that make sense?
- Get a Universal Audio Apollo Twin x Duo interface (or similar) which could properly power them XS and sell the Scarlett

What I won't do:
- Send the Hifiman XS back, since I REALLY REALLY like them and already send them to Sonarworks to get an Individual EQ-Curved Measured
- Only use the Topping DX3 Pro+ as an Audio Interface, since I need to record midi in and instruments

Anyone got other suggestions on an interface or ideas on what I could do? I know it's a very specific use case but I made lots of research and I'm just getting more and more skeptical about whether I made the right decision buying the headphone, even though I like them.

MUCH APPRECIATED!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. I have a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface and for a while I used its digital output into a dedicated DAC+headphone amp. Worked great.

Keep the headphones and be happy.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

djdolcevita

This is only partially the answer to my question. But thanks for the hint!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is only partially the answer to my question. But thanks for the hint!
Do you have a spare set of analog outs on your interface? You could connect something like a JDS atom or Topping L30 ii pure headphone amp via them and save a bit of money if so.

mmmdc

Most audio interfaces tend to be.. kinda bad. It's not that the Edition XS needs lots of power, audio interfaces just tend to be noisy. The digital output combined with the DX3 Pro+ should perform much better.

Top Bottom