• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How it sounds...

Rõlnnbacke

Forum Donor
Hi everyone!

Been a music lover, audiophile and high-end sceptic for a long time. Last few years I've been on a partly coincidence-driven hifi-journey and managed to scramble together a new set-up, partly with the help of the knowledge on this website, where I also got the feeling that one does'nt have to be ashamed to be a bit proud of and share the happyness of the bargains he found, so here I go: Kef r3 black, kef kube 10b and sonoro maestro with (not sure which) hypex end stages ( https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sonoro-maestro.26417/ ), all new, together for € 2251 (aprox. € 52 more than the kef r3 meta costs here). I 'crawl-determined' the place of the subwoofer with an online tone generator so that aprox. 25-40 hz. was as even as possible, put the crossover frequency at 40 hz and kept the r3's on full range. As far as I could remember and judge, I never heard a set-up that sounded so good!
Is'nt it reasonable to keep 3-way speakers at full range when you have one sub and only occasionly play loud? Some filling in of nodes/antinodes, no sub location, more total driver area around, in this case, 40 hz. and:
KEF-Kube-10b-Tiefpass.jpg

from: https://www.lowbeats.de/test-subwoofer-kef-kube-8b-kube-10b-und-kube-12b/

'almost flat' to 15 hz, at/from not/hardly hearable level off course. Sorry, no measurements. Cheers!

Peace

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sweet setup!

Another cheap optimization trick:
If you or a friend of yours has an iPhone or iPad, then you can use the HouseCurve App to measure the system's response.

Would be interesting to see which crossover setting results in the smoothest transition and what difference the Sonoro's room correction actually makes.

OP
Rõlnnbacke

Rõlnnbacke

Forum Donor
Thank you, yes, I don't know yet if anyone I know has an iPhone/pad, but indeed that would be interesting. I do have an old test record with a sliding tone from 250-25 hz. that sounds reasonably even, with only a big dip around 100 hz.

Top Bottom