• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Long Do Speakers Sound as They Were Designed ?

Eric Natural

I have a pair of Monitor Studio Studio 6s that I bought in 1999. Perhaps over the years they are no longer as flat as they were originally . . . but they still sound great to me. How would I be able to tell if the drivers/crossovers were "worn-out" if there is such a thing ?
TIA

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Check if the surrounds are still intact. Second thing is ferrofluid in tweeters, which can dry out after 15-20 years (but I think that only happens if its exposed to air?).

egellings

Major Contributor
Check if the surrounds are still intact. Second thing is ferrofluid in tweeters, which can dry out after 15-20 years (but I think that only happens if its exposed to air?).
All tweeters would be exposed to air, wouldn't they? The tweeters in my ProAc speaker towers do not use ferrofluid.

MAB

Major Contributor
Measure.

I tend to measure my speakers out of the box. I may be odd that way. I used to work sales and installation, so it is a habit based on the surprising number of defective components companies sell us. It also allows me to monitor degradation. For instance, your tweeters have ferrofluid, this can dry out with age and use.

I am guessing you haven't captured measurements when new, but you could measure your speakers and compare to the Stereophile measurements by Atkinson.
You should be able to see the same dips and valleys, and the same tweeter resonance at 20kHz if your mic has response in that region. Your room will produce a different response in bass.
MS6FIG03.jpg

It is also useful to compare the two units you have to each other.

Atkinson in his review talks about speaker break-in, totally ignore that.

OP
Eric Natural

Eric Natural

let's pretend that my anechoic chamber and calibrated mic are unavailable to really test these louds. What do tweeters with "old" dried out ferrofluid sound like ? What am I looking for ? Are there signs beyond the tweets of age in a typical speaker ?
I guess what confuses me is the consumer interest in vintage speakers who might be even older than mine. Ex. Altec Lansing Voice of the Theaters, vintage Klipsch, JBL, Yamaha NS1000-series, etc.

Bottom-line, are new speakers more accurate b/c of their youth ?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
let's pretend that my anechoic chamber and calibrated mic are unavailable to really test these louds. What do tweeters with "old" dried out ferrofluid sound like ? What am I looking for ? Are there signs beyond the tweets of age in a typical speaker ?
I guess what confuses me is the consumer interest in vintage speakers who might be even older than mine. Ex. Altec Lansing Voice of the Theaters, vintage Klipsch, JBL, Yamaha NS1000-series, etc.

A new speaker is more likely to sound the way it's supposed to, yes. Capacitors, surrounds, and ferrofluid wear out / degrade over time. So an old passive speaker >20y is not unlikely to have issues with those.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Foam surrounds can wear out in about 5 years in hot humid climates. I trashed AR's and Snell speakers because of this. Fewer manufacturers use foam these days, but avoid it.

rynberg

Forum Donor
Well, those speakers were all massively inaccurate when new, so how could you tell? :)

Pareto Pragmatic

let's pretend that my anechoic chamber and calibrated mic are unavailable to really test these louds. What do tweeters with "old" dried out ferrofluid sound like ?
More distorted. Distortion increases with age. So they gain a bit of "fuzz" over time.

If you replace 40 year old drivers one at a time (as I have) it's pretty obvious when that fuzz is gone. Ok not gone, but gone down.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I know you can't go back in time (unless you have a Marty's DeLorean), but a simple impedance sweep made when you buy speakers vs. one made years later, would tell you things had changed (or not)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The best part of a century -- for the good ones.
They weren't using electrolytics in crossovers in those days, either. ;)
Although AlNiCo magnets are sensitive to mechanical shock and just plain old use and benefit from occasional recharging.
Electrodynamic (electromagnetic) drivers can be pretty much immortal as long as they don't get damaged.

1713398274537.jpeg

Reactions: MAB

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Tweeters will lose their output when the ferrofluid dries- it can actually impede the vc to the point they sound dull.

So many issues with older speakers, it really is a crap-shoot.

Penelinfi

Sometimes the carrier oil soaks into felt damping material or even the tweeter diaphragm, or gaskets

egellings

Major Contributor

Maybe it's because the designs are more competent, rather than the speaker being newer.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No idea. But my Spendor S 3/5s bought in 2001 still sound fantastic. And my pair of Thiel 02 speakers, bought in the early 80s, still sound fantastic and as far as I can tell the same as they always have.

Pareto Pragmatic

Maybe it's because the designs are more competent, rather than the speaker being newer.
True, but the OP did ask "... as they were designed."

No idea. But my Spendor S 3/5s bought in 2001 still sound fantastic. And my pair of Thiel 02 speakers, bought in the early 80s, still sound fantastic and as far as I can tell the same as they always have.
My 1984 Heresies I had for 20 years sounded great too. But then I spent $20 to recap them, and they really cleared up. The drivers, that's another issue, forced by my wife refusing to move them, much less sell them. She loves those things.

We can't really notice the slow changes, we adapt to them.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I dont know but avoid direct sunlight. And awai from radiators.

OP
Eric Natural

Eric Natural

We can't really notice the slow changes, we adapt to them.
I think this is the challenge here - are my ears compensating for how I'm accustomed to listening to them in the room ? They sound great, even with a dented dome.
Obviously, I listen to other speakers elsewhere in my house and in my modest hobbyist recording studio & they're all also of high quality(except the little Apple Mini Homepods in the dining room :=). I still love the character of the Studio 6s, finding them fairly accurate. I'll keep them rocking until/unless I hear a fuzz-iness in the tweets after replacing the gold domes(many thanks to my granddaughter's finger). Grateful that I've found the british supplier for replacements.
Wish me luck !

egellings

Major Contributor
I think this is the challenge here - are my ears compensating for how I'm accustomed to listening to them in the room ? They sound great, even with a dented dome.
Obviously, I listen to other speakers elsewhere in my house and in my modest hobbyist recording studio & they're all also of high quality(except the little Apple Mini Homepods in the dining room :=). I still love the character of the Studio 6s, finding them fairly accurate. I'll keep them rocking until/unless I hear a fuzz-iness in the tweets after replacing the gold domes(many thanks to my granddaughter's finger). Grateful that I've found the british supplier for replacements.
Wish me luck !
Slow changes remind me of my eyeglasses getting dirty as time goes by. I don't notice the incremental change over time, but when I wash the glasses, then the change (vision degradation) sticks out like a sore thumb.

Top Bottom