• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How skinny can speaker cables be?

klettermann

For starters let me be clear: I'm not a believer in special magic cable voodoo. At the same time I do believe that there must be some limits. At one extreme, for example, running inefficient current-hog speakers with a 300wpc amp using hook up wire is probably going to have some detrimental effect. This leads to my current dilemma. My recently bought house is prewired through the walls with 18 ga. wire (maybe even 20, I didn't measure, but the point is, it's small). The cable runs are about 25 ft. My thought is to use them for a modest setup of mid-market bookshelf speakers and a similarly modest amp, say 30wpc. Nothing killer, more like Sonos-grade. Under this scenario I'm thinking that the skinny cable might be fine. Thoughts or comments? Thanks and cheers,

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The wire lowers damping factor, as the article describes. It's complicated. Most people use 12AWG for reasonable runs.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

There's a handy chart there if math isn't your thing.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For starters let me be clear: I'm not a believer in special magic cable voodoo. At the same time I do believe that there must be some limits. At one extreme, for example, running inefficient current-hog speakers with a 300wpc amp using hook up wire is probably going to have some detrimental effect. This leads to my current dilemma. My recently bought house is prewired through the walls with 18 ga. wire (maybe even 20, I didn't measure, but the point is, it's small). The cable runs are about 25 ft. My thought is to use them for a modest setup of mid-market bookshelf speakers and a similarly modest amp, say 30wpc. Nothing killer, more like Sonos-grade. Under this scenario I'm thinking that the skinny cable might be fine. Thoughts or comments? Thanks and cheers,
It'll work, but is a little smaller wiring than you really need for speaker cables, especially in 25ft lengths. You may well get frequency response errors due to the interaction of the wire impedance with the speaker impedance characteristic.

Whether this is significant enough to concern you, well: You have the house, you have the wiring, Try it and see.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Whether it makes a difference also depends on the speakers. The lower their dip in impedance, the more of a difference it makes. And the wider the dip, the more audible it will be.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
its a great question. If it is 20 or even 18 ga. wire for 25 ft. It’s probably worth the effort to rewire with 12 ga. It’s ridiculously easy to re-run existing wire. A new run can be a pain in the ass depending on your house. That said, it sounds like it’s not like you’re going to be doing a ton of critical listening in that room. You might be just fine with what’s there if you just want jam some tunes in the background and you aren‘t trying to make it into your listening space.

edit: I just want to say re-running wire SHOULD be very easy. I have seen situations where it was ridiculous. Like any home improvement project. :)

Last edited:

MarkS

Major Contributor
A 25ft run of two-wire 20gauge cable would have a resistance of about (10 ohm/1000 ft)*(50 ft) = 0.5 ohm

A speaker like the Revel M106 has impedance minimums of about 5 ohms at 200Hz and 3kHz:

914Revelfig1.jpg

The extra 0.5 ohm from the cable would result in a dip in the power to the speakers at those frequencies that is down by a factor of 5.0/5.5 = 0.9, corresponding to a dip of 20*Log[0.9] = -2 dB at those freqencies.

However, like all speakers, the M106 exhibits variations of more than 2 dB with frequency:

914Revelfig3.jpg

So I would buy speakers like the M106 whose impedance minimum is 5 ohm or above, and then not worrry about it.

OP
K

klettermann

Audio is a strange thing. It always seems like after all the theory the answer so often ends up being "just try it," LOL. Anyway, I think I'm in luck. After my brain-fart cleared I realized that the cables are all 4 conductors, hence I've actually got 2x the cross sectional area that I thought, closer to 15 ga. The previous setup just used 2 of them! I can't imagine what the previous owner was listening to in his pre-internet/wireless world. The funny thing about forums like this is that they provoke you to see what you were looking at all along. Thanks and cheers,

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
It always depends on the overall context. For certain high-sensitivity speakers in conjunction with flea power tube amps I liked to use so-called "Klingeldraht" at demonstrations to impress the audio friends which came to my place.

My photo:

kabel400.jpg

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
^^^ I think that folks sometimes lose sight of one simple truth: it's OK to have, and appreciate, loudspeaker cables that look nice. :)

Mine look kind of nice -- and feature those same "Nakamichi" banana plugs. :)

;)

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Nice examples!

I also liked the potted James transformers (like in your picture). Are they still in production? It was a long time ago.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sheesh, no Litz wire? :D

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The appearance of cables sometimes follows fashion considerations for me. For example, I like snake patterns at the moment. This is another speaker cable I have here.

fancy-cables.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My bland round Monoprice cables are, admittedly, boring looking.

Top Bottom