• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 397 86.1%

• Total voters

buz

Forum Donor
Any indication that there will be an ncx250? Or maybe even an ncx252mp?

I really don't need 500wpc (or monoblocks for that matter) ...

cheapmessiah

Why not? You'd just need a 1/4" in and a speakon out.

I'm waiting to see if the bass amp makers start using these newer generation modules in their heads. They tend come out with new models (using new modules) at more or less the same time. IcePower has been the most popular since the beginning of the class-d revolution. My amp uses an older generation module that's rated at 500W into 4 ohms. It won't do 2 ohms. Newer versions are rated ~800W into either 4 or 2 ohms. I believe these all have lousy distortion specs at full power. But bass is a bit forgiving of this.

Would be cool to see little amps that could the put out 1K or more into 2 ohms, without noise or distortion problems. This would lead to lots of flexibility (ability to use 1 to 4 speaker cabinets depending on your needs. I suspect price is still a problem here. And the demand for lots of power seems to be going down as more venues get modern PA systems.

2ohm sounds like too little of a load to push so much power, but im far from an expert

In my mind, having a pedal format power amp that can output 200w@8ohm for less than a 100€ and a larger enclosure one that can output 800-1000w @ 4ohm for 500€ would be great products that the market is ready to consume.

JohnnyNG

And now, think about the effect of output impedance of DAC or preamp to such DUT.
Please forgive this tangent.

I have a Topping Pre90 (40Ω balanced output impedance) and a pair of MPA-M400ET (1ET400A). I'd fully intended to set the Purifi to bypass the buffer since the Pre90 should have no trouble into 4.4 kΩ, even at over 10V according to the reviews. But when I switched it over after a day of listening to the Purifi at the default 25.3dB/94kΩ, something seemed off. I gave it a few days but the Pre90 didn't sound all that "happy"; the sound was a bit bland and colorless, less dynamic. No obvious distortion, just kind of a bleaching of textures.

So I switched the jumpers to 94kΩ/20dB (where they have remained since) and all was sweetness and light, magnificent.

Is this nuts?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
2ohm sounds like too little of a load to push so much power, but im far from an expert
You are wise enough to suspect 2 Ohms is danger zone and it is danger zone for amplifiers of most designs. Stay away from it. :D

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

In my mind, having a pedal format power amp that can output 200w@8ohm for less than a 100€ and a larger enclosure one that can output 800-1000w @ 4ohm for 500€ would be great products that the market is ready to consume.
Wouldn’t the speaker cabinet be the limiting factor in transportability of guitar amplifiers?

cheapmessiah

Wouldn’t the speaker cabinet be the limiting factor in transportability of guitar amplifiers?

They are and arent at the same time. Modeling and DSP are so good at the moment that you dont need the cabinet unless theres absolutly no other way to produce loudness. Most touring bands plug directly to PA on venues, and to a computer with studio monitors or headphones at home or rehearsing, most recording studios have gear on site that they know how it works, how to mic it and how to mix it, so the cabinet a musician would transport is redundant there too.

However you need to have backup if you want to jam or go to a venue that lacks proper PA, theres where having the poweramp separated from the signal chain becomes convenient, as you would only move power and cab when its needed, and the rest of the time you move around with just your signal chain as much as you can.

As for the weight of he cab, a super light weight cab can be made relatively easy nowadays, as long as the enclosure suffers minimal deformation at maximum volume and it is mechanicaly decoupled from the floor/room, both factors have traditionally been the main constrains that made heavy enclosures necessary.

KMN

It's too bad Hypex won't sell these directly to the DIY crowd. Or at least I think that's the case.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are and arent at the same time. Modeling and DSP are so good at the moment that you dont need the cabinet unless theres absolutly no other way to produce loudness. Most touring bands plug directly to PA on venues, and to a computer with studio monitors or headphones at home or rehearsing, most recording studios have gear on site that they know how it works, how to mic it and how to mix it, so the cabinet a musician would transport is redundant there too.
Thank you but how is that related to a high power amplifier like this one to possibly be used for guitar amplification?

ozlegend

Audio Company
Some more posts deleted as off topic. Some of you are flirting with disaster. Last verbal (typed) warning. :mad:
OK it is a reason I rarely contribute to forums these days and probably won't be again here - the abuse is too tedious. But please make sure in future you are even handed in your deletions and don't give special treatment to Grand Contributors and Forum Donors.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
OK it is a reason I rarely contribute to forums these days and probably won't be again here - the abuse is too tedious. But please make sure in future you are even handed in your deletions and don't give special treatment to Grand Contributors and Forum Donors.
If you look up you will see everything was deleted. Sometimes the forum doesn’t update because you still have the page loaded in your computers buffer. Hit refresh and you will see it’s all gone.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, I investigated the cause of excess distortion at higher power. I had noticed that with buffer setting distortion had gone down which should not have been the case. I noted on the graph that my dummy load connection may need revisiting. Indeed that was the case. I use screw terminal locking banana plugs. The screws sometimes come loose. I checked and they were tight. But under instrumentation I could see that wiggling the wiring caused good few dB change at higher power. So I tightened them to death and result was much improved performance:
index.php

index.php

Due to lower distortion, we could eek out some more power at 1%THD so I updated the max and peak measurements as well:
index.php

As I expected, the impact here is lower due to much less current travelling through the wiring terminal. Still, we get closer to state of the art. As an aside, I verified that the Purifi measurements were with high gain (re-ran that measurement as part of testing the wiring).

Finally, the lowered distortion exists at all frequencies:
index.php

The buffered results would likely get a bit better as well. I will see if I can re-test those.

These results show the Hypex NCx500 to be even more remarkable than my original testing showed!

JSmith

Master Contributor
probably won't be again here - the abuse is too tedious
Hello Rod, I'm sure many members here would be interested in your experience in speaker design, so I would suggest to take the comments about your Hypex NCore DIY amp posted with a grain of salt (although she wasn't pretty) and stick around.
danger zone
Is that a highway to the? ;)
These results show the Hypex NCx500 to be even more remarkable than my original testing showed!
Ah, excellent!

JSmith

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I investigated the cause of excess distortion at higher power. I had noticed that with buffer setting distortion had gone down which should not have been the case. I noted on the graph that my dummy load connection may need revisiting. Indeed that was the case. I use screw terminal locking banana plugs. The screws sometimes come loose. I checked and they were tight. But under instrumentation I could see that wiggling the wiring caused good few dB change at higher power. So I tightened them to death and result was much improved performance:

index.php

Due to lower distortion, we could eek out some more power at 1%THD so I updated the max and peak measurements as well:
index.php

As I expected, the impact here is lower due to much less current travelling through the wiring terminal. Still, we get closer to state of the art. As an aside, I verified that the Purifi measurements were with high gain (re-ran that measurement as part of testing the wiring).

View attachment 257942

The buffered results would likely get a bit better as well. I will see if I can re-test those.

That’s more like it! Thanks for the follow up.

Michael

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
FYI the review is updated as well.
Awesome the fix was so easy to rectify. Some days we can’t see the Forrest through the trees. ;) In this particular case you did actually have a Screw loose! :oops:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For those questioning the APx555 analyzer ability to produce high output voltage into very low impedances, you owe the box an apology! :) Here is the internal sweep into just 600 Ohm which is much lower than the impedance of NCx500:
APx555 Analyzer Audio Loopback.png

The steppiness is due to AP input scalar switching ranges and with it, losing some performance. The actual output is clean without those drops.

FYI max voltage I needed for NCx555 was 15 volts. Above test goes to 20 volts.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
index.php

View attachment 257942

Does this point to the need to employ a torque instrument when tightening speakers terminal? I love my Wiha! Would the same tightening improve the recently reviewed Buckeye performance?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does this point to the need to employ a torque instrument when tightening speakers terminal? I love my Wiha! Would the same tightening improve the recently reviewed Buckeye performance?
I get them tight but the copper fibers of the wire compress over time making them looser. I then have to take them out get the strands together and tighten once more. I am thinking about using solder with a different ones.....

Top Bottom