• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interesting new Cambridge Audio streamers MXN10 and AXN10

OldManMatt

Excuse me for continuing old thread, but why there seems so little interest / recommendations here for CA MXN10? From what I see it has everything streaming plus flac from USB, with the exception of amazon music, color screen and digital inputs. I am considering it instead of other options, because being somewhat more expensive it looks like a proper device and does almost everything I need. However, I have a feeling that there is something everybody knows but doesn't tell. No measurement (here too), no real reviews - only commercials with the same pictures and words. Even above, OldManMatt, use it with external DAC. is it ess vs akm, or price is too low for CA device to be good... What is current cosensus on this device, is it recommended?
Hello konstancij, I can only speak from my experience with the MXN10 but I feel it is a pretty solid device. I mostly used it with an external Dac due to my Dac having some PEQ functions that I apply to help with my speaker's in-room frequency response. Currently I have the coaxial digital output on the CA going into a Minidsp DDRC-22D.

I did use the CA (Cambridge Audio) analog outputs for a couple days though since I've last posted. Honestly I felt it sounded quite nice. My subjective opinion was it sounded pretty good, maybe even better than when using my more expensive dac. It did make me question the quality of the coaxial output of the CA. It could all just be in my head of course. The only type of testing I can do at home is via REW and in-room frequency response.

The MXN10 uses the Sabre Es9033Q chip from what I've read. No USB output but yes it does have the USB input port for PCM files and DSD512. I have not used the CA to listen to files. It's been noted that No gapless playback via USB input if that matters. The software features are solid and it seems they covered all the different ways to connect to the unit from handheld devices.

I have never sent anything to Amir or anyone for testing but I would have no issues with sending my MXN10 in if Amir was interested. As long as it didn't take months to get it back..I have other streamers on hand so it being gone for a little while wouldn't bother me.

Personally I would recommend the CA, and mostly that is because I've never had any issues with the software or app. Bluetooth, Tidal, Quboz, Internet radio all work great compared to other streamers I've used. As I mentioned the limited amount of time I used the analog outputs I felt it sounded nice. Nothing bad stuck out. I'm assuming it won't measure as well as some of the Chinese offerings that have done well on this site but I didn't hear anything abnormal about it. I'm assuming it's sound quality is no worse than any other streamer in this price range. It is a very convenient piece.

OldManMatt

But yeah if you can find a used CXN2 in that price range it certainly offers more than the MXN10. I used the CXN2 for a while and it's a nice device. Looks great as well.

I know Cambridge has a store on eBay where they sell different models they have refurbished. The CXN2 pops up every couple months..I bought my first CXN2 from their eBay store at a discounted price, it definitely looked and came packaged brand new. A couple months later though it had some electrical issues..but Cambridge had no issues offering me another unit, wait to have mine diagnosed and repaired, or even money back. Not the kind of service one normally gets from eBay.

SanojS

Hello konstancij, I can only speak from my experience with the MXN10 but I feel it is a pretty solid device. I mostly used it with an external Dac due to my Dac having some PEQ functions that I apply to help with my speaker's in-room frequency response. Currently I have the coaxial digital output on the CA going into a Minidsp DDRC-22D.

I did use the CA (Cambridge Audio) analog outputs for a couple days though since I've last posted. Honestly I felt it sounded quite nice. My subjective opinion was it sounded pretty good, maybe even better than when using my more expensive dac. It did make me question the quality of the coaxial output of the CA. It could all just be in my head of course. The only type of testing I can do at home is via REW and in-room frequency response.

The MXN10 uses the Sabre Es9033Q chip from what I've read. No USB output but yes it does have the USB input port for PCM files and DSD512. I have not used the CA to listen to files. It's been noted that No gapless playback via USB input if that matters. The software features are solid and it seems they covered all the different ways to connect to the unit from handheld devices.

I have never sent anything to Amir or anyone for testing but I would have no issues with sending my MXN10 in if Amir was interested. As long as it didn't take months to get it back..I have other streamers on hand so it being gone for a little while wouldn't bother me.

Personally I would recommend the CA, and mostly that is because I've never had any issues with the software or app. Bluetooth, Tidal, Quboz, Internet radio all work great compared to other streamers I've used. As I mentioned the limited amount of time I used the analog outputs I felt it sounded nice. Nothing bad stuck out. I'm assuming it won't measure as well as some of the Chinese offerings that have done well on this site but I didn't hear anything abnormal about it. I'm assuming it's sound quality is no worse than any other streamer in this price range. It is a very convenient piece.
I doubt the coaxial will affect the audio quality. The only thing it can do, would be to introduce jitter.

OldManMatt

I doubt the coaxial will affect the audio quality. The only thing it can do, would be to introduce jitter.
I've had a couple of dropouts or silence coming out of the coaxial recently. I wiggled the cord and socket and the signal came back thru. I was using a Beldon cable but after that instance I replaced it with a Gotham digital and I had a silence dropout right away..giggled the cable and port and sound came thru again. I haven't had the issue since or the time to really look at it but it's caused some concern in the back of my mind.

winsome

Folks, currently I feed my active speakers with Fiio Bt30pro as receiver from my laptop through bluetooth. Do you think replacing the bluetooth receiver with this would benefit the SQ? Thank you

Beanie

I got my Cambridge Audio MXN10 at the end of November. I bought it to replace an old Cambridge Audio DacMagic that was connected to my HTPC via USB (class 1 I think)
I could A/B the old box and the new one side by side - that's one advantage of these half-width units. I use the RCA analogue outputs from the MXN10, and feed it via ethernet. To my ears it sounds really good. More resolving than the old DacMagic via USB. It was so simple to set it up as a Roon end-point. I chose it as I figured its good value for money as I'm not paying for a screen or a bigger chassis or a remote.

OldManMatt

How do you stream Qobuz with this?
I haven't used mine in awhile as I've been using a different streamer. At first I just linked my Quboz account to the Stream Magic app so I could access it from there. But the Cambridge also has Chromecast built in so I usually just opened my Quboz app, link it to the MXN and played my music. I preferred it this way. Functionality and convenience of using the Quboz app but the sound quality of using the Cambridge as a renderer.

Top Bottom