• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

It's not just audio any more

cjfrbw

It was adapted from personal battery vibrator technology.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Snake-oil salesman are rampant in many areas of marketing... I play trumpet, and there's always some New Great Thing that will improve your playing to the level of (insert famous player here). Musical instruments, cars, medicine, all sorts of electronics, you name it. How many people really notice if the latest 25 M-pixel camera is better than last year's or the competitions 22 M-pixel model? An AVR is sooo much better because this model puts out 115 W and the lower model only 110 W (I actually got the line from a salesman; my attempts to explain why that didn't matter fell on deaf ears, bigger must be better right?) Caveat emptor was never more important than now when so much unvetted information is available so freely -- it is almost impossible to tell valid claims from completely outrageous, especially in an area you (I) know almost nothing about.

OP
SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
At least a change in megapixels is something real, whether actually useful or not.

Magnetic bands, amulets, and the like seem to be very popular with the same folks who dread cancer caused by electromagnetic fields.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yah. Like so many things, sometimes there is a germ of truth, and then it gets wrongly applied to everything.

On EM fields, my dad (PhD microbiology) worked with an agricultural lab to help farmers improve their crop yields and so forth. He worked with one farmer and was able to conclusively prove that high-tension wires over one field reduced milk production in that field relative to an adjacent field. I got looped in a bit to measure the field strength and, whilst I do not remember the exact numbers, they were (wait for it) shockingly high. That was very much a special case, though the farmer was very glad his house was not beneath the lines.

Top Bottom