• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs EL DAC II Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the JDS Labs EL DAC II USB DAC. Company asked me if I want to wait to get a unit from customers or a sample from them. In the interest of timely disclosure of its performance, I opted for the late option. The EL DAC II costs US $299.

The EL DAC II enclosure is made out of metal and looks slick:

JDS Labs EL DAC II Audio Review.jpg

The front control both powers the unit and cycles through the three separate inputs. There are no other controls making the unit easy to use, albeit, with possibly less functionality.

The rear of the unit shows the typical connectors:
JDS Labs EL DAC II USB Back Panel Connectors Audio Review.jpg

The usual large, AC transformer that JDS ships universally for all of their products is needed to power the EL DAC II.

As noted, it is very comforting to know that the product has met both US and European safety and emissions standards. To often audiophiles worry about "EMI/RF radiation" only to buy products that are not certified in this regard.

The EL DAC is a companion to EL AMP II which I will be reviewing next.

DAC Audio Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard:
JDS Labs EL DAC II Audio Measurements.png

THD+N beats the spec by producing half as much distortion. The DAC game has become fierce lately so the EL DAC II can't get into the coveted top bracket of our SINAD performance table:
Best Audio DACs Tested 2019.png

Story gets stronger from here, starting with excellent dynamic range:

JDS Labs EL DAC II Dynamic Range Audio Measurements.png

This matches our audible dynamic range meaning you can play up to 120 dBSPL and still not hear a noise from this DAC.

Intermodulation distortion matches and beats my reference, Topping DX3 Pro:
JDS Labs EL DAC II IMD Audio Measurements.png

Clean jitter spectrum shows attention to detail:
JDS Labs EL DAC II Jitter Audio Measurements.png

Same for linearity:
JDS Labs EL DAC II LInearity Audio Measurements.png

32-tone signal at 192 kHz shows better performance than our dashboard, clearing 20 bits of distortion-free range:
JDS Labs EL DAC II multitone Audio Measurements.png

THD+N versus frequency shows even response, albeit not class leading:
JDS Labs EL DAC II THD vs Frequency Audio Measurements.png

Filter response is classic chip default in the way it truncates at 24 kHz rather than 22.05 kHz:
JDS Labs EL DAC II Filter Response Audio Measurements.png

Conclusions
As one would expect from a performance & engineering focused company, the JDS Labs EL DAC II shows clean performance across the board. On the key metric that we (sometimes rightly and other times wrongly) rely on, it doesn't do as well. Combined with rather high price, it leaves me a bit cold.

The real market would be for people pairing this with its companion EL AMP II amplifier. Other DACs may outperform the EL DAC II but won't pair as well. So look for that review next.

The other advantage the EL DAC II has is its superb support and manufacturing in US for those of us who live here. This will compensate some for price difference.

--------
As always, questions, comments, corrections, etc. are welcome.

I have to review no less than three products today so I demand overtime pay! Please donate generously lest you want me to go in strike using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
Nice. Could you also show frequency response? The first gen EL Dac had some rolloff near 20kHz.

jasonq997

Forum Donor
This looks fine to me. I am interested to see how the "main event" (the amp) performs.

ayane

Forum Donor
Not bad. Still not happy about the filter response, but a great implementation of the tried and tested AKM chip nonetheless.

bboris77

It would be very interesting to see a shootout/comparison between this unit and the Modi 3 to see what advantages you get for an extra $199.

Last edited:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some of the tested gear missing the technical prefered ballanced output feature reject mains noice nice and clear, this unit looks be one of them :)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
The real market would be for people pairing this with its companion EL AMP II amplifier. Other DACs may outperform the EL DAC II but won't pair as well.

What do you mean by this exactly?

Not bad. Still not happy about the filter response, but a great implementation of the tried and tested AKM chip nonetheless.

You can ask them to implement any of the other filters offered by the AKM 4493 for you. John wrote that in a comment on the JDS blog. They are also controlling the filters via the XMOS chip now so you will be able to change the firmware to get a different filter in the futre according to John as well.

I am kind of disappointed by this though, its great that they offer XMOS usb now as I find Cmedias usb interface to be not as good but that price is really high. 299 is getting close to the 399 Massdrop offers the Topping D70 at from time to time. It seems like if you want to buy a expensive dac you might as well go for broke and spend the extra 100 to get a top performer.

Alternatively there is the SMSL SU-8 which is 179 on massdrop from time to time and outperforms this other than the ESS hump issue.

I think this should have been 250 or less like the old model. JDS Labs customer support is incredible though, so I guess for someone who just wants a solid dac that will be well supported its a viable option...but still seems a bit expensive for that level of performance.

Are you going to be reviewing the new Element Amir? That really seems to be the potential gamechanger here. As if it performs as well as the Atom and has a pretty good dac built into it, it would be a good value.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Visually.

Hope so. Seeing performance and 'pairing' in the same sentence just gave me flashbacks to those dark days when only a pretence of information about audio equipment was available, from 'audiophile' magazines and forums regurgitating snake oil. So glad we now have this site providing us with real, useful information at last :)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hope so. Seeing performance and 'pairing' in the same sentence just gave me flashbacks to those dark days when only a pretence of information about audio equipment was available, from 'audiophile' magazines and forums regurgitating snake oil. So glad we now have this site providing us with real, useful information at last :)
The only time system synergy/matching/pairing has any use in regards to performance is when talking about the output/input impedances and sensitivty.

If the impedances are too close, the frequency response will be altered. If the Vrms out of your DAC/preamp is not enough for your power amp, you won’t get the max wattage possible (some amps need just 0.75Vrms, others need 10Vrms).

bobbooo

Major Contributor
The only time system synergy/matching/pairing has any use in regards to performance is when talking about the output/input impedances and sensitivty.

If the impedances are too close, the frequency response will be altered. If the Vrms out of your DAC/preamp is not enough for your power amp, you won’t get the max wattage possible (some amps need just 0.75Vrms, others need 10Vrms).

Unfortunately words like synergy, matching and pairing have been co-opted by snake oil salesman, so we have to instead use the more precise terms you mentioned like relative impedance/sensitivity/voltage requirements, to distinguish fact from fiction. More precise/descriptive language is a good thing though really, and will help newcomers learn the workings of audio reproduction, so maybe we should be glad those more vague terms have been claimed for BS purposes.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The front control both powers the unit and cycles through the three separate inputs.
Is there a visual indication or do you keep tapping the button until you hear what your source is playing?

I'd also prefer more attenuation at Fs/2, but -80dB at 24kHz implies at least -80dB up to 20kHz. Do you think IMD might be a problem here?

bequietjk

Very curious for the Element II measurements. And my gosh does the El Dac look the same, sexy as hell.

Top Bottom