• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KZ EDA Balanced

markanini

Major Contributor
This is my subjective review of KZ EDA Balanced. This set caught my attention as an alternative to CRA CCA, a set which had a comfortable fit for me, but a too sharp treble for me to enjoy. Originally was released as a EDA pack of three, with a "Heavy Bass" and "High Resolution" counterparts, referring to variations on the tuning. Now offered as a separate purchase with a "Blanced" typo on the box. I chose the Balanced version because it had more in common graph wise with other sets I liked in the past. It's among a few IEMs in KZs roster that doesn't graph with a heavy treble elevation and heavy U-shaped response.

The unboxing experience is similar to CCA CRA. The cable is silver colored otherwise identical to the CCA CRA. Tips are less grippy, somewhat stiffer, otherwise reminds me of CCA CRA tips which are the more squishy kind, but perfectly useable tips. The shells are similarly dimensioned to CCA CRA, light and comfortable fitting for me. Uses QDC connectors so you can't slap on your favorite 2-pin cable if you have got one.

The stock response is mildly varm and U shaped, very close to what I consider a balanced response. The rest of my impression are made using my EQ, just a small reduction of bass and treble to make it a little more crankable, no more than 1dB. Indeed the graph is not lying, the treble is free from typical KZ sharpness. Besides that it graphs broadly with more energy around 6KHz and less around 3kHz, compared to popular sets. Not knowing what to expect from that, at times I had stop to think if the treble sounds grainy or sounds well defined, the distinction is was not immediately obvious. Either way it wasn't objectionable, just different from what I'm used to. With more I listening I accepted that I like how it sounds. In the end the good texture, without shout, or sharpness, won me over.

Metallica - Enter Sandman sounds the best I've heard in an IEM, the hard hitting drums have good snap and bass impact.

Spring Rounds by Stravinsky, performed by Minnesota Orchestra sounds big and cohesive through the entire buildup.

I rank this set on par with Truthear Red, Moondrop Lan and Truthear Hola. More importantly the comfort is great and that makes it a winner for me.

1691485575788.png

2023-08-07 15.12.02.jpg

Attachments

• EDA Blanced Filters.txt
    112 bytes · Views: 55
Last edited:
Top Bottom